Michelle Foster's Fondant Questions

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm by Sugarflowers

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 18

I am making this for the first time today and I need to know if you let it rest on the counter on in the refrigerator icon_confused.gif .
If I have leftovers, for how long is it good? Do I refrigerate it?
So far I've tried Wilton thumbsdown.gif MMF icon_smile.gif CMMF icon_redface.gif (this one I messed up) and I am really excited to try Michelle Foster's because of all the great thing I've read and hoping to make my icon_wink.gif signature fondant. icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks all for your help.
Sheila

17 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 18

Carefully wrapped, it can be stored on the counter. As long as it doesn't dry out, it will last a long time. I use two layers of plastic wrap, on of foil, and put it in an airtight container. Fondant can dry out very quickly on the outside, and you can't need that back into the fondant.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 18

I have a question about fondant cakes. I made the cakes on Sunday and began decorating them. This is a topsy cake and I am keeping in the refrigerator when I'm not working on it. Will it keep until Friday or am I going to have to start all over in a few days? I didn't even think about the possibility of the cake drying out in that 6 day period.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:09am
post #4 of 18

I just made this fondant for the first time on Sunday morning. I wrapped it in plastic wrap (brushed with oil) then put it in a ziplock bag. I had it in the fridge for a few hours, but I took it out a couple hours before using it that night (I know it says to let it rest for longer). I have a fist sized chunk left over just wrapped in the plastic wrap and sitting on my table, but it looks fine. I don't really care for fondant, but I like how it tasted over the buttercream.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:04am
post #5 of 18

I made this fondant last week for a cake. It's really easy to make. I wrapped it in saran wrap (several layers) and left it on the counter for 24 hours. The first half of it that I used was easy to work with and great. For some reason the second half tore and I had a horrible time. I finally had to go to walmart for wilton. (agh) It's the same batch that was in the same conditions so I don't know what happened. It might have been the heat and humidity down here. But I liked how it covered the first layer so well that I'm going to try and make it again tomorrow! So I hope it works out for you.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 18

This is the fondant that I use now. It's so much easier to work with and tastes better too (not as sweet as MMF) The best time to use it is after it has rested for 24 hours. I've had it well wrapped and on the counter for 2 weeks and it still worked out fine, but was just a little difficult to work with.
I figured if it's wrapped and stored well, it will last for a long time just like the Wilton wrapped fondant.
I have noticed that humidity and heat does affect how easy it can be to work with though.

lvjan777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvjan777 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 18

I can't find the fondant recipe by Michelle Foster. Can someone tell me where it is?

nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvjan777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvjan777 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 18

I was spelling Michele wrong (Michelle)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 18

I'm also making this fondant soon and would like to know where glycerin can be purchased at? Also, I remember reading that there's a kind you shouldn't get because it's for soap making??

margaretb Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 18

Wilton has glycerine. I buy mine at Michael's. Probably other cake decorating supply companies have it as well. The michaels bottle is quite small and you need 3 Tbsp (I think) for one batch of fondant, so I'd probably buy one bottle for each batch you plan to make. You might be able to buy it at a drug store. My guess would be that glycerine is glycerine and it shouldn't matter what you plan to use it for, although maybe if it were intended for soap, it would not be food grade? If I found it at a drug store, I would just check with the pharmacist to make sure it is safe to consume.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I'm also making this fondant soon and would like to know where glycerin can be purchased at? Also, I remember reading that there's a kind you shouldn't get because it's for soap making??

I buy my glycerin at a health food store. It is usually found in the area for making home made lotion. The gelatin can usually be found in the health food store as well. It's in the nail strengthening section. Both come in much larger sizes and reasonable prices.

There are two types of glycerin. The one for fondant is vegetable glycerin. The is petroleum based. This is very difficult to get and I think you have to have a special license to get it. It is quite toxic. Don't worry, it's no likely that anyone would get the two confused. The smell of the petroleum based glycerin would be the first hint that it is not right! icon_smile.gif

For those who are new to fondant, refrigeration is not a good idea. The humidity in the fridge will ruin the fondant and the odors can be absorbed even when properly wrapped. For long term storage, the freezer works great. It still needs to be well wrapped and placed in an airtight container. When you need it, let it come to room temperature over night, don't nuke it.

If the fondant gets too stiff (the second 1/2 of the batch), knead in some shortening and glycerin to soften it. This sometimes happens when a little too much gelatin is used or it was not tightly wrapped while using the other half of the fondant.

Thanks for all of the kudos on my recipe.

Michele

FlourPots Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 18

Oh my goodness, so the gelatin is NOT Knox brand unflavored?? That's what I was planning to use??

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 18

I always use Michelle Foster's recipe. It is always humid here! So I don't know what it would be like to make it without the humidity factor.

I love the recipe. I never refrigerate it. I always let it sit for at least 24 hours so the powdered sugar can set up. I never refrigerate fondant cakes because the humidity causes it to sweat so much there are drips and "rivers" running down the cake, a lesson I learned the hard way.

I have kept left over fondant double wrapped and in an air tight container on the counter for weeks and had no problem with it. Sometimes it tough/dry but I either heat it in the microwave for 5 seconds or knead in some Crisco.

I purchase my glycerin online (a large bottle) and my gelatin in bulk since I used them up.

HTH

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Oh my goodness, so the gelatin is NOT Knox brand unflavored?? That's what I was planning to use??

Yes, it is. Knox brand or any other unflavored gelatin powder will work (Knox is the only brand I find at the market here in Houston). I LOVE this recipe!

FlourPots Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #16 of 18

OK, thanks for letting me know Knox is fine to use...thanks to everyone for their very helpful information.

margaretb Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:02am
post #17 of 18

One thing I noticed is that the recipe says three packages of gelatin = 6 tsp, but on the package and when I measured it out, one package = 1 tbsp = 3 tsp. So when I made it, I went by the measurement and used one package for a half batch. Anyone else notice that? Would it have been better to use more gelatin? I thought it turned out great. Maybe gelatin is packaged differently in the states.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 18

It is better to measure it. The packets are very inconsistent in the amounts. They are only off by a little bit, but this can make a big difference in the consistency of the fondant. A little too much can make the fondant into a large rubber ball.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%