Lavender Flavoring In A Cake Or Filling? Suggestions?

Decorating By lanibird Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 1:32am by lanibird

lanibird Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 11

I was just asked to do a last minute wedding cake (eek! icon_eek.gif ) by my sister's boss. Nothing big, it is a spur of the moment deal, and going to be a small ceremony & reception. She asked if I knew of any recipes for the cake, filling, or bc, that used lavender or violets. I'm off to search the 'net for some, but I was hoping some of you might have some recipes to share, and possible flavor combinations, using lavender or violets, to suggest?

Thank You!

10 replies
SweetResults Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 11

would like to know too as I just ordered rose flavoring and I think lavender flavoring as well from fancy flours, not sure what I will do with them, just curious!

PinkZiab Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 11

I've never used it in a cake, but lavender shortbread cookies are heavenly (this doesn't help you, I know lol). Lavender and caramel go together EXTREMELY well. I've never used lavender oils/flavorings, I usually use lavender buds (I make an infusion when I need just the flavor or essence), but I will say with this particular flavor, less is more... use MUCH less than you normally would as it can be very overpowering and you only want a hint of flavor. If it's too strong it will ruin whatever you're making.

snowboarder Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 11

I agree to use the flowers and infuse instead of using an extract.

Lavender shortbreads are a favorite of mine!

tootie0809 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 11

I have some lavender and rose extracts that I would love to be able to use in a cake recipe too. I've looked a little bit on the net for a good recipe, but I haven't come across one I've been brave enough to try. I've seen some wonderful-sounding cake flavors on various bakery websites that use lavender.

That lavender shortbread recipe sounds heavenly! Does anyone want to share it? icon_smile.gif

lanibird Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 11

tootie, would you mind sharing those websites, please? I'm coming up with a list of possible flavors, and I could use all the inspiration possible!

PinkZiab, thank you for letting me know about the lavender caramel mojo. I have found quite a few recipes for lavender flan/creme caramel/creme brulee.

tootie0809 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 11

Sure no problem! I can't remember all of them (I net surf a lot, so I can't remember everywhere I've been). Here are some I do remember seeing:

http://www.bluemooncakedesign.com/favorites.htm

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/04/lavender-pear-cupcakes-with-vosges.html

http://www.hollyhockcakes.com/menu.html

If I remember or come across any others, I'll let you know!

Rincewind Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 11

I've seen a recipe for a lemon cake with lavender cream filling. That sounds pretty nice to me!

I have rose, violet, and lavender-flavored monin syrups. The only one I've used so far is the rose (which tastes so amazing in strawberry fillings). Originally I had planned to add the violet to a bit of buttercream when I was planning on making cupcakes with violets on them-- but I haven't tried that yet. I think the combination of white chocolate with violet sounds good. Like a white chocolate cake filled with a violet-flavored mousse or cream filling.

Anyway, have fun! I would love to know what you come up with! icon_smile.gif

lanibird Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

tootie, thank you for sharin the weblinks. They did help!

Ok, so I've come up with a few combos that I want to bounce off you guys before I present them to the customer. Please let me know what you think! Don't be afraid to tweak anything, or tell me I'm just plain off my rocker for thinking it! icon_lol.gif

caramel cake w/ lavender syrup, caramel filling, caramel SMBC
White cake w/ honey & lavender roasted peach filling w/ honey SMBC
caramel cake w/ lavender pastry cream filling, w/ caramel SMBC
Lavender-lemon pound cake w/ lavender honeyed marscapone filling, w honey SMBC
lemon cake w/ berry lavender filling, w/ white chocolate SMBC
lavender pound cake w/ creme brulee filling, w caramel SMBC

Thank you for all your help!

sadiepix Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #10 of 11

Oh, I missed this one! LOVE lavender! Yum!

The second, fourth and fifth cake ideas sound amazing!
I never liked lavender with caramel, but that is just me. icon_smile.gif

I make a lavender reduction I use in cookies, cocktails, cake, pastry and lemonade...sooo yummy!

This is for a cake I have yet to try, but it sounds great!
http://silverleaf79.blogspot.com/2007/05/famous-lavender-cake-recipe.html

This one I HAVE tried..yum.
http://www.lavenderfarm.com/recipes/lavendercake.htm

Also, Taste Of Home has some lavender recipes if you sign up to their site.
Check out google too for page after page of ideas and ways to make your own syrup and flavorings, and where to order some also.
Victoria, BC holds a lavender festival every year, and I bet has a site with recipes too.

Yum! I think I will make a lavender drink right now! Thanks!

lanibird Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #11 of 11

Thank you for your help everyone. They choose the lemon cake with lavender berry filling and White Choc. SMBC. I've never cooked with lavender before, so I'm a little nervous.

Gotta go shopping!

Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%