Sugarveil Pros... I Need Some Help.

Decorating By Rhienn Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm by Rhienn

Rhienn Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 4

SO, I'm about to give sugarveil another chance. I know some of you have made it work... care to share you secrets?

I don't have the dispensing system and will be piping it by hand. Last time it seemed maybe like it was too thick? What consistency have you had the most luck with?

3 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 4

I have only used it a few times. I followed the package directions and it came out the a bit thicker than the consistency of colorflow - the icing flowed very easily out of the bag. I like to pipe the designs on greased parchment paper; use a parchment bag and cut a very small hole (or use a small round tip). The icing should meld into itself very easily and, if the consistency is right, you will not have any points.

Usually I'll pipe a few test pieces along with whatever I'm piping so I can check if it has dried flexible enough to work with. For example, if piping a monogram, pipe a test line the same size as the monogram. Then just pick up the piece and apply to your cake. I've found the drying times vary depending on the weather. HTH

DianeLM Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 4

How old is your mix? The powder expires after about 6 months. It will seem very thick and won't set up properly.

Rhienn Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 4

Good question! I'll have to look at the manufacture date when I get to the kitchen. I know I first tried it the day it arrived - so I wouldn't think they would have shipped it too old...

I really love the idea of this stuff - I hope I can get it to work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%