Need Some Experienced Input..

Decorating By valbos22 Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm by tastyart

valbos22 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, so how in the world do people get the mirror-like chrome silver look? I am going to be doing "Red" from Cars the Movie and I need to figure out where I get that?

The fondant ball borders. I have seen many that are uniformly perfect-- how do you acheive that? Is there a mold that you press your pieces into to ensure that all balls are the same amount to start, before you roll them?

Those of you with such tidy work-- does it come with time, do you often scrap stuff and start again or is it "some have it and some don't" type of thing?

I have never taken a class (yep, it shows) so I am wondering if the Wilton ones are recommended ( I have heard they are like a big sales pitch) or if I should invest in the lessons offered by private bakeries (or are those sales- vehicles for product too?)

I am sure these are just three questions on a list that will reach 1000s, hee hee

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 4

To make the ball border the same size, roll your fondant out to a uniform thickness. Then use a circle cutter (or any shape, really) to cut the pieces, and then roll them into balls. It works for pearls too. Some people use a mold also.

I've never taken any classes. I just read whatever I can find and I practice. I've heard the wilton classes are fun, though...and if you already have the basic tools then you probably wouldn't have to buy very much stuff to take the class.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by valbos22

I have never taken a class (yep, it shows) so I am wondering if the Wilton ones are recommended ( I have heard they are like a big sales pitch) or if I should invest in the lessons offered by private bakeries (or are those sales- vehicles for product too?)

Of course Wilton classes are going to push Wilton products, that is why the craft stores have the classes. How much you spend does depend on you. I give my students a list of items they must have, and then items I think they will find helpful for the classes.

Pretty much any class you take at a store are going to push products. Nick Lodge doesn't just teach classes cause he makes gorgous gumpaste flowers and wanted to share that. I'm not saying he doesn't want to share, but he does also have a store where he teaches his classes. Hmmm. icon_smile.gif

I enjoyed the Wilton classes when I took them. They gave me some hands on that I needed. It is one thing to read directions and try to do it and have someone show you what it should looking like. Some can learn just by reading and others need someone to show them how to do it.

tastyart Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

Welcome, newbie!

You had a question about silver accents. You can buy silver luster dust, mix it with vodka, and paint it on. It does not make a chrome or mirrored finish, but it is deffinately silver. I'm sure there is a professional out there that knows how to make it chrome. "Calling all pros. out there!"

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%