Royal Icing - Storage Questions

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm by TexasSugar

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 3

I've read that royal icing can be stored for about 2 weeks. Some say you should refrigerate it...some not. Some say to cover a moist paper towel before covering it with Tupperware...others say foil...or nothing at all.

I just made royal icing for the 1st time this weekend (Antonia74's recipe). I have a lot leftover and the ingredients look like they have separated. Is this supposed to happen? Did I do something wrong? Can it be fixed?

Any feedback on how you store your extra royal icing (and why) and an explanation about my separated royal icing would be appreciated. Thank you! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 3

Can't give you any advice on the separation (never used this recipe). I assume you can remix by hand.

Yes - it seems a lot of different ways people store their icing. I use the method Geraldine Randlesome explained during a demo at the MACs convention (also just took a class with her). To store icing, she puts it in a container with a lid and turns the container upside down. She states to never, ever put a damp towel on your icing as this will just change the consistency. She also states she stores her icing in the fridge for up to two weeks - but I keep it on the countertop and re-mix with a spatula when ready to use again (but I prefer to use it fairly fresh so I make small batches).

Again, you'll get different answers - but I use her method because it works nicely for me.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 3

Seperation is normal. Just rebeat it before you use it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%