My First Cake Disaster!

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 12:13am by seasonsmoke

kristina67 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 8

Well, it finally happened. My bride's reception was outside, it was 105 degrees, and for the first little while the cake was in direct sun. She asked me to be there at 5:30 (the reception started at 7:00). This would give oodles of time to place the flowers around each tier. However as I am doing this my good friend says to me "We have a problem" and she looks at the top tier which is now dripping melted SMBC (from underneath the fondant) onto the middle layer. Panic! She took it off and put it into the freezer (the only free space). Now what? Luckily the bottom two tiers were dummies.

I ended up driving back to my house (only 2 mi.) and quickly made another top tier with a spare dummy. My thought was that I needed to keep that top tier cool until it was time to cut the cake. I substituted the dummy cake for the top during the reception and when it was time to cut the cake I swapped them. I was so nervous that underneath the fondant it would just be slippery and slimy. However I lucked out and it had set back up and turned out fine.

The weird thing is that prior to delivery I had a thought come to me that I dropped the top tier and what would I do? So in a way I had a little back up plan already in place.

Sorry this is so long, but it feels good to get it out there and now I can move on to next weeks cake...which is fortunately INSIDE.

7 replies
lorrieg Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 8

Wow! Quick thinking. Well done! thumbs_up.gif

GingerCakes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 8

That is some fancy foot work there, now for the big SHEW! That's over with. I want to know who can make a cake that can withstand 105 degree heat? YIKES!! Good job!

smoore Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 8

Good thinking!

I just had my first disaster this weekend, too ... but it didn't involve heat. I've always used wooden dowels and never had a problem. But this time, I had to deliver via a road that was similar to a roller coaster (I didn't think we had any roads like this in western OH). I opened the back hatch to see a collapsed cake. I felt sick to my stomach and was speachless. I was delivering the night before the event ... meal was scheduled for noon Saturday .... so I told them how sorry I was and that I would make this right and would be back in the morning with enough cake to feed everyone. I got back home and immediately started making buttercream while writing a shopping list for my husband. He cleaned out the car, did my shopping and ordered pizza for dinner. I started baking at 7pm, went to bed by 3 am, and delivered a 9 am. The customer was SO nice through the whole ordering process and paid 100% at time of order instead of the usual deposit. She actually offered to buy the bottom tier of the collapsed cake to feed to the people setting up the tent for their reunion/anniversary party. I told her I won't sell that to her, but I will give it to her. The next day, when I delivered the replacement cakes (didn't stack this time .... not wanting to go through that 2 days in a row!) she wanted to show me how much of the bottom tier already got eaten. When I went in, she handed me a check - $50 less than my original cake amount. I told her she already paid for her cake and she didn't have a balance due and she said "I don't want you to argue with me about this. I've prayed about it and you were so kind to do all of this for us and I want you to have it." I about cried right there on the spot. The whole way home I thanked God that she was such a nice, understanding lady. I think I would have quit everything if she was mean and nasty. icon_smile.gif Now I'm shopping for SPS so I can have it delivered in time for my next large cake on 8/30 (I've got a 2 tiered cake due 8/10, but it's only getting delivered 2 blocks away, so I'm getting different dowels and should be ok there, but anything over 2 tiers I'm moving to SPS!)

kristina67 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 8

Wow. That is an amazing story. Was your cake tiered or stacked? I have never had a problem, yet, and have been reading a lot about SPS and the other one. Please post when you found the one you want. I'd like to see what you end up with. Now, go take a nap!

jpcs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 8

What a story! I had a similar thing happen to me before. You are so lucky the customer was such a blessing to work with! That's why I love customers from my church...they are the least stressful to work with. A lesson is always learned from a will just improve your skills!

smoore Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by kristina67

Wow. That is an amazing story. Was your cake tiered or stacked? I have never had a problem, yet, and have been reading a lot about SPS and the other one. Please post when you found the one you want. I'd like to see what you end up with. Now, go take a nap!

Mine was the 50th anniversary tiered cake in my photos. The replacement cakes are also in my photos.

seasonsmoke Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #8 of 8

Very nice recovery. You were thinking on your feet. Strange that you were thinking about what to do before you needed to replace the top tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%