Peggy Porschen And Petit Fours

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm by mom42ws

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know how deep the pan is she has in her book in which she makes petit fours? It looks like a cookie pan but she calls it a sheet cake pan, an 12x16.

I want to make petit fours sized about 3" square. What should I charge for these? Quick feedback would be appreciated

Thanks!

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 5

I don't have this book, but you are probably right it is most likely a sheet (cookie) pan (like a jelly roll pan), and not a deep cake type pan. I was taught to make petits fours by baking thin sheets of cake and stacking them with layers of filling, then cutting to size. It saves a lot of work and time to not have to torte a normal sheet cake.

mom42ws Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 5

If my customer wants me to make a larger sized petit four, say 3" squared, should I make it with an extra layer to make it taller since it's supposed to be more of a mini cake?

Also, if I may, how much would you charge for a 3" petit four? I've never made these before.

Thanks!
Ashley

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 5

Pricing is tricky and unfortunately, I don't really have any specific suggestion for you there. However, a petit four is really something that is one or two bites, at most. 3" is VERY large for a petit four and I think what you are now doing are individual cakes/servings and I think depending on how elaborately you are going to decorate them, I would price them somewhere closer to your per-slice cake charge (actually these would price higher than my base per-slice charge, since individual cakes are more labor-intensive than decorating a whole cake).

mom42ws Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

yes, they are definitely looking more for an individual cake in the petit four style. i have to think about this. thanks for your input!

ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%