Background Color For Photos

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm by pumpkinroses

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:18am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I have the tutorial mentioned in a previous thread about taking pictures of a cake.

My question is what color backgrounds look best with what color cakes?

My fair entry is white fondont with two shades of purple gelatin flowers and pearls and a purple ribbon around each tier. It's not quite done yet but I'm trying to get prepared so I can take some good pictures before I take it to the fair. The only other wedding cake I've done was last years entry and I want to make sure it looks good in my portfolio.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Nikki

10 replies
mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 11

When I take pictures of my cakes I use a dark background for light cakes and a light background for dark cakes. That way the cakes "stand out" in the photo. Your cake sounds beautiful...look forward to seeing it.

pumpkinroses Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the tip. I'm a little afraid with this particular cake because of the gelatin flowers. They are two shades of purple but are see through. I'm afraid a dark background (since the cake is white) would take away from the flowers.

What about a medium colored pink or peach color?

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 11

Well, the pink would look better with purple, imo, but if you have digital try both and see what looks best.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 11

My suggestion is lavender, lilac, or periwinkle.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 11

i know nothing about this topic but i still have a suggestion icon_redface.gif :
How about taking it with a window on the background or outside? so the light can go trough it?

pumpkinroses Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:07am
post #7 of 11

I thought about taking a picture outside if my blue morning glories were a little more established but they aren't very thick right now and you would see the deck.

kimmypooh79, You don't think the flowers would get lost in the light purples? I like the periwinkle idea, thanks
Nikki

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 11

The purples that I suggested are lighter in color so if the flowers are dark then they should stand out.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 11

how about lemon yellow...a ver light shade. Not cream, not yellow duck yellow. I have a laura Ashely comforter that is soft yellow with purple and lavender flowers and it looks really nice.

pumpkinroses Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the help. My DD's sheets are lavender. I'll check it out when the cake's done.

pumpkinroses Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 11

Keep the ideas coming. I might be taking a lot of pictures and then deciding which I like best. Good thing this is a dummy cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%