The Whimsical Bakehouse Book

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 8:19pm by Honeydukes

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:12am
post #1 of 15

My friends hubby will be travellin to San Francisco in 2 weeks time and he is gonna help me purchase TWB-Fun to make cakes that taste as good as they look & Lindy Smith's Celebrate with a cake. I will save about $20 (local currency) in shipping cost.

Can someone please advise me which bookstores in SF he can get those 2 books?

Thank you.

14 replies
mgigglin Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:32am
post #2 of 15

hi!

There are Barnes and Noble Booksstores around the city, one will be on Bay st if he is inteh area of Pier 39. If he is in the business district then ther are Barnes and Nobles in that area also. There is another bookstore called Borders. I got mine from a Borders. Good luck to him!! And hope he enjoys the city while he's there!! Its a great place to be!!

Kim

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:35am
post #3 of 15

Thanks Kim. This is very helpful.
Here's gonna be there for business.

mgigglin Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:56am
post #4 of 15

He should have no problem finding a store.. I'm sure that the front desk of where-ever he is staying can point him in the right direction. icon_smile.gif I was just there last week... if I'd only known you needed it! lol!!

Kim

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:03am
post #5 of 15

ya i guess shouldn't be a problem finding the store...its just whether they have the books.

have promised him that i will bake him a b'day cake for doing this favoricon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:11am
post #6 of 15

If I were you I'd order the books on Amazon and have them shipped to wherever your hubby is staying. I find that bookshops do not always have what I am looking for when I go to the US, and I do not want to spend all my time going from bookshop to bookshop getting what I want. So I always order, and it also saves me some money.

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:23am
post #7 of 15

BakingGirl, not my hubby but my friend's hubby. That sounds like a plan too. But my concern if the amazon will be able to deliver on time.

BakingGirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:26am
post #8 of 15

Doh, sorry about that. Evidently not quite awake enough to read properly. I have always had good experience with Amazon delivering promptly. Most books are available for immediate delivery so should definitively be enough time if he is going in 2 weeks time.

Honeydukes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:31am
post #9 of 15

Check Google for "Bookstores in San Francisco." A list will come up. You can find one close to where he'll be and contact them about the books.

The Booksmith is an independent bookstore in S.F. If they don't have the books you need, 2 weeks is usually plenty of time for ordering.
http://www.booksmith.com/
[email protected]

Borders will let you check their stock online, but you need to know the zip code for the store.
http://www.borders.com/online/store/StoreDetailView_57

Personally, I find that the small indie stores are more willing to help. Plus, I just think they're cooler!

HTH!

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:34am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

Doh, sorry about that. Evidently not quite awake enough to read properly. I have always had good experience with Amazon delivering promptly. Most books are available for immediate delivery so should definitively be enough time if he is going in 2 weeks time.




hahaha...no worries. COOL...will propose the idea to him. Thanks babe.

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:37am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Check Google for "Bookstores in San Francisco." A list will come up. You can find one close to where he'll be and contact them about the books.

The Booksmith is an independent bookstore in S.F. If they don't have the books you need, 2 weeks is usually plenty of time for ordering.
http://www.booksmith.com/
[email protected]

Borders will let you check their stock online, but you need to know the zip code for the store.
http://www.borders.com/online/store/StoreDetailView_57

Personally, I find that the small indie stores are more willing to help. Plus, I just think they're cooler!

Thanks Honeydukes, am going to checkout booksmith online now icon_smile.gif

HTH!


Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:53am
post #12 of 15

Honeydukes, just checkout the booksmith website and how come they are charging more for the books. the whimsical bakehouse book is $27.50 while amazon is charging $18.15 and celebrate with a cake is at $19.99 while amazon is at $13.59icon_sad.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:07am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesea

Honeydukes, just checkout the booksmith website and how come they are charging more for the books. the whimsical bakehouse book is $27.50 while amazon is charging $18.15 and celebrate with a cake is at $19.99 while amazon is at $13.59icon_sad.gif




Because Amazon buys in huge bulk, and therefore can cut the prices more! Buying directly from Lindy Smith will cost you the full RRP of the book price, but you do get them signed (I obtained a couple of her older books that way)! I'd buy on Amazon and get them sent to the hotel.

Bluesea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:17am
post #14 of 15

bonjovibabe, thanks for the explaination. now it is all clear.

Honeydukes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 15

That's exactly right, BJB! Plus, publishers don't charge the chains and Amazon for shipping. The cool thing about independents is that they choose which books they really want to sell and when you go into the store and ask for recommendations they know their stock. Chains and Amazon will sell every book made and could care less about quality -- they only care about quantity. Publishers also allow C&A to return books when they don't sell -- you've seen bargain books at the front of these stores? That's what they are. Publishers sell those books back to the bookstores by the crate. Indies can't do that.

I'm sorry there is such a big price difference between the two. That happens sometimes. Borders is another option for you. I hope it works out and you get your books. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%