Curious George A Mess.....(Long)

Decorating By Juds2323 Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 6:29am by Juds2323

Juds2323 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:12am
post #1 of 4

This cake had a disaster written all over it.
1. Ran out of time to properly dry the yellow hat...So floppy, tore, broke. Hubby decided I had to go get the car's oil changed and car smogged yesterday - so 1/2 day wasted.
2. Poor planning.... didn't fully figure out how to attach george's face and wrong proportions.
3. Central Dowel though went thru to bottom - nope didn't even make it out to the main road - stupid speed bumps! Bottom cake totally collapsed with the fall - tore etc. So, luckily I had a dummy cake sitting around so could sub that.

Took cake to location (MIL's) to reassemble. With what was left of the buttercream I had... RKT arms took a beating too. Kept falling off after the fall. Plus good thing Hubby was having cake craving - had make some back up cupcakes for around the house so took those too for back up.

My 4 year old still loved it so...I guess that is all that matters. He was a little upset about the Yellow Hat. I think he almost likes the hat more than the monkey!!!

You will see in the pic with the hat that my MIL is holding him up for the pic.

Had to laugh and say it's cake and the day is about my son and being with family and friends.

Learned a lot.

Judi
LL
LL

3 replies
lorrieg Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:29am
post #2 of 4

Of course he loved it!!! I must say that is a very realistic arm in the top photo. icon_lol.gif

That was a big job to take on and so what if it didn't turn out the way you had planned? It tasted good, looked funny (like George), your 4 year old loved it and you got to party with family and friends.

Don't be so hard on yourself. All of us here have had cakes that were less than perfect, we just weren't brave enough to post pictures. Or in my case, take a picture. icon_redface.gif

lynda-bob Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:07am
post #3 of 4

Oooh I'm sorry, but it really did come out cute. I bet he loved it. I totally related to your post because I just did my niece's b-day cake this weekend. Unfortunately, I had three cake orders this week and I forgot to doctor the cake mix for her cake. It tasted fine but it was too crumbly to frost smooth. It was bulging and tilting. Arrrggghhh icon_sad.gif When I got to the party though my niece and her friends were ecstatic. Then one of the mom's wanted to know If I sold cake; I said yes but please don't judge me by this!!! She said she could only imagine my work if this one was a disaster.... That made my day but I still know it was far away from perfect thumbsdown.gif

[/img]
LL

Juds2323 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:29am
post #4 of 4

Thanks - I knew you all would understand. My mom was really surprised that I dealt with it so well - she's visiting from out of state. No tears, no tantrums, just oh well - live and learn....LOL. I knew it could be great or a disaster or somewhere between. I think I repaired it at least a 1/2 dozen times. After the rebuild the arm kept falling apart. LOL. At least I got to bake a cake! Woo hoo. I've been able to do at least a couple a month. I was having a cake drought - no friends or family having parties etc.

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%