How Many Servings For A Castle Cake????

Decorating By steffla Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm by steffla

steffla Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #1 of 11

I had a customer order a stand up castle cake for 60 people, 38 of which are children, for a 3rd birthday party. I have never done a castle before and have several cakes the week before and after this. I was wondering whether or not to decline.

First of all, is this something I could do and plan with just about 3 weeks?

Second, and most important, how do I figure servings for this as I am unfamiliar with the structure? The cake will be covered in fondant and I would prefer to make it all edible (i.e. not cardboard towers).

Thank you for you help!!!! Any comments, suggestions or photos are welcome and appreciated!

Steph

10 replies
steffla Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 11

Just another question.....I just saw a castle cake with buttercream and towers were covered in mmf. I would be okay with that as well but since I dont have a brick impression mat, what could I do to texturize the bc part?

steffla Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 11

Anyone????? Please help icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #4 of 11

the brick mats are quite accessible. check out your local cake shop first. they're only a few dollars. if they don't have them, go to your local hobby store and check the "dollhouse" section...more than likely, there will be a fake brick there that will have texture...it's what they use for the outside of the dollhouses. if they don't have it, check over in the polymer clay area...ya never know. if none of these give you results, then you can always do it freehand with a butter knife.

i'm not sure of the servings, since you will be carving some of it away. i do know that if you do not plan on using paper towel rolls for the turrents, that you will have tons of labor and supplies in it, which equals a buttload of money you should be getting for it...price appropriately so it will be worth your while.

good luck!

kimmypooh79 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #5 of 11

This castle cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=347583

uses ice cream cones as the turrets. For the brick you could take a skewer and make the horizontal lines then go back and make the little vertical lines. I'm sure you already know this but make sure the vertical lines don't line up. The castle cake in my photos was the equivalent of 1 8" 2 layer square, 1 4" 1 layer square, and 1 11x15 one layer. So approximately 40 maybe 45 slices. I fed the kids the one layer cake and the adults the 2 layer cake.

steffla Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you kimmy for your advice and the link, that castle is very pretty too!

Sun11598 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 11

I've used ice cream cones for turrets. You can do it in 3 weeks easily - esp. if you do cones. I used bc on mine - I did a crumb coat and then used a basket weave tip to make 'stones' - I just used the non-textured side and did 2-3 rows at a time all the way around the cake making sure the vertical lines weren't right over top of one another.

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 11

basket weave tip??? why didn't i think of that....duh!

steffla Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 11

Wow, I never would have thought of that either! I like the ice cream cones idea and I am wondering how hard it would be to cover them in mmf if I did it that way. Wouldnt they break too easily? Well I love the buttercream look that you did..if I covered the main castle in mmf would it look okay to do the towers in bc?????

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 11

Who are you asking steffla?

steffla Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 11

Sorry, I was responding to Sun but would love to hear from anyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%