Have You Ever Delivered The Ugliest Cake In The World....

Decorating By Jayde Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm by alvarezmom

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 3

and had the person that you delivered it to, gush about how wonderful it was???

I just delivered the uglist cake in the world (I will post pictures), the color combo was AWFUL, the cake settled and the fondant was a little wrinkled at the bottom, the fondant bow drooped because of the humidity, and it was just an awful looking cake. It literally made me feel like a total cake newb!

I was sick to my stomach delivering this thing and was prepared to offer the lady a huge discount, I was so embarrassed to even deliver this thing. I get there and she says she LOVES it, and gushed about how wonderful it was. Me being me, honest to the point of failure, pointed out the wrinkles, and offered her a partial refund. She refused, she said that no one would even notice and that the cake was beautiful and had exceeded her expectations. I cant claim the design, it is exactly what she ordered, and the exact colors that she ordered them in, but my execution left something to be desired. The worst part is that I TRIED to get rid of this lady when she gave me the colors cause I KNEW that it was going to turn out like this. I raised the price to $4 per serving, which is WAY more than my usual $2-$3 per serving.

Does anyone have good cake luck in the middle of summer where its so humid that cakes are prone to droop, fall apart, and melt? Should I put a no cakes during the summer clause on my contracts?? This is depressing, cause the last 2 cakes I did were just FABULOUS! Really awesome looking, looks like a pro did it kind of thing. I'm depressed maybe I should have quit while I was ahead....

2 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #2 of 3

So a friend of a friend was getting married and my friend asked me to do the cake. she was just on and on about how she doesn't really care, and to please do something simple but she doesn't want it white. She doesn't want a normal "wedding" cake. In the end she asked me to match her wedding colors - one tier dark red, one lighter red and the top orange! ORANGE!! WHAT!! It was horrible! I really didn't want to even deliver it - but of course I did. Later my friend told me that they almost didn't have enough cake - at least it tasted good!!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 3

You are your own worst critic! That's what my husband always says. When I think something looks ugly or it's "missing" something he says to step away from the cake and let it be.

I'd love to see a picture of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%