Repairing A Disaster

Decorating By jules1719 Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 2:21am by dawncr

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 3

A cautionary tale...

I delivered one of my wedding cake to a reception site on Saturday where an additional reception was set to take place. After I set up my cake, the banquet manager asked me if I could help out with a problem. The cake made by another baker for the other reception fell during transit.

The bakery that made the cake is fairly well known and well established. Their wedding cakes are all that hideous Wilton style, and this cake was no exception.

They sent the cake on a 2 hour delivery fully assembled, columns and all. The front was a cascade of white chocolate seashells. The top tier tumbled, broke in two and crushed the front of the cake. The shells, being white chocolate, were so heavy that they slid down the front of the cake shearing away the frosting. The cake wasn't even cold, so I wonder if it had been chilled before delivery. Also, the delivery persons weren't decorators, just counter help.

The borders were all piped in red icing which made it extremely difficult to repair.

Ultimately, the cake was beyond fixing, although we did clean up the shells, and I tried to smooth out the worst of the mess. Another local bakery kindly donated a top tier.

1) Never transport a cake with columns fully assembled. If it isn't stable in your home or shop, it won't survive delivery.

2) it's best to chill a cake to "set it up" before delivery

3) the chosen delivery person should have some knowledge of how to use a pastry bag

The delivery person said, and I quote, "We're gonna have to give them some of their money back because of this..."

Some? You think?

2 replies
Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 3

kudos to you for helping another bakery.

I agree... deliver folks should know how to work a pastry bag! icon_wink.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #3 of 3

Yup, very nice of you to help.

Wonder what the heck that bakery was thinking? They should know better. Bet that bride was quite disappointed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%