Mmmm Mac And Cheese!!!

Lounge By SweetPea0613 Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 2:41am by SweetPea0613

SweetPea0613 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 20

So I don't wanna sound lame or anything but i have this recipe for Mac and Cheese and it asks for flour as a thickening agent..

I sooo dont have flour and dont feel like going to the store for it cuz I'm exhausted!!!

So, what else can I use instead of flour??? icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 20

I don't know, but can you share the recipe? I hate Kraft, kinda gritty and a funny aftertaste. I so want to try a homemade recipe!

charlieinMO Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 20

Oh I am soo glad you asked this question!! I have been wanting to try to make some mac n cheese!! My dad used to make it and it was sooo good!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 20

You might be able to thicken it with cornstarch...use half as much as the flour in the recipe and also cut the butter down by half (if you want). Combine the milk and cornstarch , add the butter and seasonings, and heat while stirring constantly.

I'm guessing your recipe is similar to the one that I make, where you make a white sauce, add cheese stir until it melts, then stir in the cooked macaroni and bake.

I'll share my recipe if anyone wants it...not really mine, I got it out of the newspaper years ago and I think I've seen it in one of the Betty Crocker cookbooks too.

chutzpah Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 20

bisbqueenb Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 20

IF you have a can of cream of 'whatever' soup, you can make a great mac and cheese with it! Just cook noodles, pour in some soup and a little milk to evenly moisten noodles, add a bunch of your favorite cheese, turn out in a greased baking dish and bake till toasty brown on top. If you like a soft creamy mac and cheese use more soup and milk, a dryer one...cut down on the liquids.

NOW I'M hungry..........

charlieinMO Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 20

Would LOVE to see your recipe!!! icon_lol.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #8 of 20
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

IF you have a can of cream of 'whatever' soup, you can make a great mac and cheese with it! Just cook noodles, pour in some soup and a little milk to evenly moisten noodles, add a bunch of your favorite cheese, turn out in a greased baking dish and bake till toasty brown on top. If you like a soft creamy mac and cheese use more soup and milk, a dryer one...cut down on the liquids.

NOW I'M hungry..........

Hmmmmm Add some yummy butter bread crumbs before you bake and OMG HEAVEN!!! lol

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:33am
post #9 of 20

Okay, here's my recipe.

8 oz of macaroni, cooked according to package directions and drained

1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 while making sauce.

Melt margarine. Add flour and cook until bubbly. Add milk and seasonings, stirring constantly. You may have to mash down on lumps with the back of the spoon or spatula you're stirring with. Cook until thickened. It always says to do that on low heat, but I'm impatient so I use medium or medium-high. When sauce thickens, add cheddar and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Mix sauce and cooked pasta. Pour into a greased casserole dish, cover with foil or lid, and bake for 30 minutes.

If you don't have mustard powder, don't worry too much. Either leave it out or give it a squirt of prepared mustard.

I use sharp cheddar sometimes for a different flavor.

SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:20am
post #10 of 20

Sorry it took so long but this is the recipe I'm planning on icon_lol.gif

No bake Mac N Cheese

8 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles
1(10 oz) package of frozen broccoli
1 3/4 cups low fat milk, divided
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

-Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes, add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the pasta and broccoli are just tender
-Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering.
-Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined.
-Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
-Remove from heat and whisk in Cheddar, Parmesan and mustard until the cheese is melted.
-Draing the pasta and broccoli and add the cheese sauce. Return the heat and cook, stirring over medium-low heat until heated through.

yields 4 servings.

charlieinMO Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks to both of you for the recipes!! Can't wait to try them!

waywordz Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 20

Add that can of 'cream of whatever", a can of tuna (or leftover chicken) and choice of veggie and you have a really good easy casserole. great for Sunday suppers. Ummm.

michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 20

Y'all are making me hungry. Here is a very good recipe that I got out of my small hometown newspaper down in south GA. It is the pastor's recipe from our church, and it's not as heavy as some recipes, because of the eggs.

Macaroni and Cheese

2c. elbow macaroni
2 c. grated extra sharp cheddar cheese + a little extra for top
3 c. milk
4 eggs, whipped
dash of salt and pepper
1 stick butter

Cook macaroni in salted water, drain. Put back into pot, add stick of butter, stir until butter melts, then add whipped eggs and milk. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Place in greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until liquid is firm. Top with remaining cheese during last 10 minutes of baking, if desired.

lilyanddayne Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 20

I have the recipe for Outback's mac n cheese!
make mostacholli (sp) noodles
in small pot melt velveeta with heavy cream
add dash of season salt
stir together.
On the kids menu and it is so good!

Ironbaker Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #15 of 20

I LOVE baked mac n cheese. This is my all-time favorite recipe that I've tweaked for my own use. It's from

My changes:

The mix of cheese that I usually use are sharp cheddar, monterey and smoked gouda. The smoked gouda shoots it to the moon. It doesn't have to be a full 5oz if you want a subtle smoked flavor. Use the cheese you like. I never used the mozzarella because I kept reading others say it made it stringy. (Read the reviews for tips!)

I usually use about 12oz. of noodles instead of the 8.

I add in about 1-2 tsp each of mustard powder, worcestershire sauce and onion powder. I like flava! I will sometimes add in a dash or 4 of this cajun seasoning I have too. I add the seasonings in once the milk is poured in and just add until I think it tastes good.

I do not use the ham.

seasonsmoke Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #16 of 20

I am so hungry now. I will have to try your wonderful sounding recipes.

VannaD Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #17 of 20

mmm! mac n cheese, every kids favorite, and many adults too! Im making someone recipe for lunch today, i just dont know whos yet! The best mac in cheese Ive ever eaten is form The Hardrock Cafe, its so good, i believe its the red pepper, yummy!

tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 20

I make a very basic mac and cheese but we love it!

2 cups of noodles - elbow or penne usually, can add more noodles if needed
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of flour
1 tsp of salt
2 cups of milk
at least 2 cups of shredded cheese - I always use sharp cheddar and then add whatever I have, emmentaler and gouda are awesome!

Cook the noodles according to package. I cook them while making the sauce and it saves time. Melt the butter, whisk in the flour and let it cook for a minute until the flour is "melting into the butter". Slowly add the milk. I whisk in the first 1/4 cup or so and that keeps lumps from forming. Heat and stir on med. heat until it is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese. Mix the noodles with the cheese sauce and put into a 1 1/2 qt. casserole disk. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake at 350 until bubbly. My recipe originally called for mustard but I didn't like the flavor and I usually use more that 2 cups of cheese. I really like using different kinds of cheeses when serving to adults because it adds to the flavor and creaminess.

VannaD Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 20

SweatPea I just made your recipe! I didnt have any broccoli so I just made it without, and it was good. I only used about 1 cup of the milk it calls for b/c i didnt want it to be too thin since i didnt have broccoli, but it was a little too dry, next time i will definately use the amount of milk it call for. I didnt have elbow noodles either so I used the tri color rotini, and it was definately restraunt qualit, great flavor, Thanks!!

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #20 of 20

You're very welcome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%