Celcakes Tools

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 2:04am by lorrieg

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 5

I'm starting to get some gumpaste tools bought. Wish I could buy everything I want now, but wow does it all add up fast! Anyway, I'm wondering if buying the CelBoard that Nicholas Lodge uses as well as the CelPad is worth the money. The board is about $36 and the pad about $15. Is it worth it to buy these or can I get away with just a regular piece of flat board and foam? TIA!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 5

There are two pros about the cel board. One of them is that your gumpaste does not stick to it. The other is that the back side has groves so you can roll out petals/leaves and have a thicker part to slide your wire into.

I bought the smaller of the two and wish I would have listened when I was told I would want the larger one later. Maybe if I get more into it I will look into getting that one too.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

If you plan to continue with gumpaste work, I would recommend buying the larger grooved CelBoard and CelPad. They are very good quality tools that will last a long time and produce much better results than most inexpensive tools. Like TexasSugar, I bought the smaller board first, then had to go back and get the larger one. Buy whatever good quality tools you can, a few at a time. They really do perform better. Yes, you can "make do" with substitutes, but the learning curve is steeper, it is easier to become discouraged, and you'll end up buying the good stuff anyway if you keep working with sugar.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the info! I was thinking of getting the large CelBoard and CelPad, but now that I've read your comments, I'm going to go ahead and order them both. I have grand illusions (or maybe delusions icon_wink.gif )of me being a master sugar flower artist one day. LOL! Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #5 of 5

While you are being delusional icon_lol.gif you might want to get both cel pad with holes and without holes. You are going to want both of those as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%