Making Fondant

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm by FrostinGal

Tashablueyes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

How many of you ladies make your own fondant? And it sounds like most of you make MMF, but are there other recipes you all swear by? I don't know what it is with my MMF, but it's never as smooth and easy to use as I'd like, and I'm tired of the cracks.

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 5

There are a couple of fondant recipes in the recipe section. Cracks most likely come from too much powdered sugar. You need to hold back a portion because is generally does not need all of what is listed in the recipe.

It will also help if you had some shortening to the mix. even a couple of tablespoons can make a bit difference.

JanH Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:28am
post #3 of 5

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

The above thread has recipes, hints & tips for making and using fondant.

HTH

kristina67 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

I received a fondant recipe from a very prestigious cake designer and I thought I should never divulge it...that was of course until I saw the recipe in a Wilton cookbook! Now don't go eeww, yet! This is not anything like the fondant in the box from Wilton. I use the recipe and add 1T (about) of Creme Bouquet and 1T of good vanilla. This recipe turns out great every time. I"ve tried Michelle Fosters and couldn't get it to work and then I thought why am I trying to reinvent the wheel? I like mine so I'm sticking to it...for now icon_wink.gif

FrostinGal Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 5

Tried Toba Garrett's fondant, in our recipe section, and I actually like it! It is easy to make and flavors very well. Easy to work with, too.
Cannot stand pettinice or wilton. Awful flavors!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%