Just Got My Sugarshack Dvds (Yay!)Questioning My Buttercream

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm by sugarshack

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 5

I cannot tell you how ESTATIC I am that I got my Dvds in the mail!!! I wanted to play around a bit and make a cake, fill it, smooth it and fondant it. But I am questioning by buttercream now. I am preparing for a wedding cake in October and I want to prevent any mishaps. I normally use SMBC, but I noticed that there was no way I could get the SMBC "Thick" to pipe the dam, and if the cake is covered in fondant and sitting out for 24-36 hours, I question its stability. Has anyone used Sharon's b/c recipe???? I am always apprehensive about the taste of b/c without butter or cream, but it did look good (and more importantly, stable). I would love anyone's input. Thanks!!!

4 replies
mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 5

I tried it this week and I love it. I didn't use the WB flavoring though. I just used regular vanilla and it worked perfectly. I highly recommend it!!

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 5

I've used Sharon's buttercream recipe and smoothing techniques on several cakes and have found both to be excellent. The buttercream is very forgiving and easy to work with, I believe you will be pleased. I've used creme bouquet flavoring because I didn't have the wedding bouquet -- it tastes great, my clients have been very pleased and my cakes have never been smoother! icon_smile.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 5

I *so* wish I liked American buttercream! (aka powdered-sugar buttercream) My family just doesn't like the flavor and 'sweet' quality of those icings, and would leave every single bit on their plates.

I use IMBC and SMBC, and get rave reviews on the taste, but they're so much more difficult for me to smooth. I often don't even try to get it very smooth. One thing I've done in the past is to mix up a small half- or quarter-batch of an American buttercream, and use it for a dam and very thin crumb coat. Once it crusts, then I can ice with my meringe buttercream. Those who dislike the powdered sugar icing don't seem to mind just that little bit.

Another possibility I haven't tried yet is to make a cake 'mortar' with a mix of cake crumbs and SMBC, and use that for a dam. Let us know how it works if you try it.

I wish SugarShack would make a DVD for meringue buttercream!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 5

Lori, if you love SMBC mine will be very different. Is is very forgiving, easy to smooth and highly stable. BUT it is an all shortening /PS icing and it will taste as such. So just be prepared for the taste difference if you try it.

I think you can use SMBC or like the others said, something different for your dam, and then use SMBC under your fondant. It supposedly is fine at room temp for a couple of days. Tons of people use SMBC under their fondant.

I am going to make my first batch of SMBC this week, just for fun to try it. Down south here, peeps love the crusting BCs so I have never even ventured into it, but I want to give it a go and see what it is like. ( hence no SMBC DVD from me! HAHAHA!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%