Carve A Star Out Of Cake

Decorating By giggysmack Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 7:16am by judcreations

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:45am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any tips on how to carve a star out of cake?
I will need it to feed 30 people.
Thanks

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 9
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry to sound stupid but do you mean carve a cake in the shape of a star or cut a star shaped chunk out of a cake?

Assuming you mean a star shaped cake i would bake a square (not sure about size prob at least a 12" due to the waste of cut offs) then use a template to carve round - personally i usually eye ball when i carve but I know i would get a wonky star hence the template.

Probably not the best suggestion but this is what i'd do.

giggysmack Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 9

Yes I do mean to carve the cake out of another I'm not sure if round or square would work better. I wish I could buy a large star shamed pan I have a small one but there is no time to order. I just hate to see so much go to waste.
Thanks everyone for your replies

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 9

There would be less waste if you start with a round pan.

Also, you could figure out how big the circumference of the cake was and be able to get the 5 (or 6?) points of the star by measuring around the pan.

For example, start with a 12 inch round. The circumference will be 12 x Pi = 12 x 3.1416 = 37.7 inches around your pan. If you make a 5 pointed star, you need to mark the pan in fifths (I would use a Sharpie pen on the outside of the pan, and then clean it off with rubbing alcohol after use). So, divde 37.7 inches by 5 and mark your star points every 7.53 inches (I would shoot for a "fat" 7.5 while marking. Grease, bake, and then use a toothpick to transfer the corner marks on to the cake for carving.

I hope that made sense!

Zooie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zooie Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 9

Well, if you want to cut yourself a stencil out of parchment paper, wax paper, etc - I hope this might help.

Start with the picture below (or one similar) and print it out. Put it underneath your paper.

Draw lines that run out from the middle of the star out beyond each of the points (as seen in pic 2). Take a ruler and measure equal distances out from each point. Use the round pan you will be baking the cake in to make sure you don't measure them out too far, or way too small.

Connect each of the points together, using your ruler (as seen in pic 3). Cut out pattern and lay it on your cake to use as a stencil.

Good luck!
LL
LL
LL

giggysmack Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you everyone for your replies!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #8 of 9

I wouldn't waste that much of the cake though. I would cut the star out, leaving the tips extended about 3 inches over the edge of the cake, then cut the tips from the leftover cake and place them in position. Once it is iced you will never know the tips were added from the scraps.

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:16am
post #9 of 9

I was about to ask the same question today about carving a cake in star shape. I have the star pan but a small one which holds a batter of 1 pound ony, & the order for the star cake is for 4 pounds. thanks everyone & giggysmack for starting this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%