Attaching Ribbon To Fondant Cake

Decorating By slimkim Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 9:32am by MissTeach

slimkim Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:44am
post #1 of 7

What do you use to attatch real ribbon to the side of a fondant cake? I know buttercream would bleed through the ribbon. Also the ribbon is light in color. Please any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you cc users.

6 replies
chutzpah Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:46am
post #2 of 7

I wrap it around and use the glue gun to glue it to itself in the back.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 7

I use satin ribbon bought in the craft section of Walmart. So far, I've used it twice on BC and twice on fondant, and never had a bleed through. I brush a little pipng gel to the end, attach it to the cake and wrap it around snuggly, securing it at the back again with piping gel.

revel Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 7

I use royal icing!

KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 7

yep, dab of royal at the back

jules1719 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 7

Royal icing still bleeds depending on the ribbon. Large pearl tipped pins work or make small, gum paste buttons tinted to the same color as the ribbon (or pearl luster dusted) look nice to cover the seam.

MissTeach Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:32am
post #7 of 7

I wet the ribbon and slide it gently through a towel before wrapping it around the cake. You want it wet, just not dripping.You will need very little of anything to secure the ends. You can trim with pincting shears (the zig zag scissors) and use a small blade to tuck the ends in. or a few dots of royal icing piped over to cover the join.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%