Love Home Depot...rolling Pin For $1.99...

Decorating By MayWest Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 1:53am by superstar

MayWest Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 17

I went to Home depot with my husband today and while going thru the plumbing isle I saw these pvc pipes 2' feet long and 2 1/4" in diameter for $1.99. Used it as a rolling pin to roll out fondant and it worked great! Other isles to hit...painting for spackling tools.

Have a favorite isle? What is the tool that you use?

16 replies
TJCanadian Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 17

I LOVE the plumbing section, I use the pvc pipe, connections, elbows, t's, crosses, and flanges to build structures for my 3D cakes.

Tashablueyes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:25am
post #3 of 17

Lol! I JUST asked my husband to make me a PVC rolling pin, I just can't justify the cost of a real one and my wooden one is not cutting it. Well, not rolling it, if you will.

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 17

I have $175 in HD gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. I'll just have to find something there to buy! icon_smile.gif

Tashablueyes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 17

I was going to go out and get some pvc pipes for stacking, too, love it!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 17

Oh Michelle!! I could never be able to hold onto Home Depot gift cards! I never thought I would be this way, but that is my FAVORITE store... go shopping already! Your gift cards are burning a hole in MY pocket! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

MayWest Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #7 of 17

Michelle, $175.00 gift certificate??? Girl, let me make you a list....

MichelleM77 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #8 of 17

LOL! Oh believe me, I'm ready to go and spend it all. I know it's not a whole heck of a lot, but it's a lot to me! We just bought our first house about four months ago and are saving up for new countertops and sink (I currently have tiny little 1" tiles and that is a rediculous amount of grout to keep clean!). We are buying paint for two rooms first (I currently have gold cherubs holding burgundy ribbons as a painted border around my dining room, not my thing) and then the rest will probably go to little stuff (curtain rods, deck stain, etc.).

We are now only asking for HD or Lowe's gift cards for future gifts because we want to make the house or own. We got the $175 through my husband's bank that has a points program. They happen to be the bank we used for our mortgage, so we got 50,000 points just for that. We turned our points in because there are rumors of the program being discontinued and that's what we got (they had pages and pages of gift cards you could get).

Okay, way too long of a post. sorry!

Tashablueyes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:57am
post #9 of 17

Michelle, good luck with making your home your own, it's a lot of work, but a lot of fun. For a few months there I think we were at HD more than some of the employees. When they know your AND your kids by names, you're going in a little too often!

iownajane Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayWest

I went to Home depot with my husband today and while going thru the plumbing isle I saw these pvc pipes 2' feet long and 2 1/4" in diameter for $1.99. Used it as a rolling pin to roll out fondant and it worked great! Other isles to hit...painting for spackling tools.

Have a favorite isle? What is the tool that you use?

What colour is the pvc you got...I ask cause I bought a grey one (also at home depot icon_wink.gif )and it's light grey...wondering if it's ok...there wasn't any white...

raquel1 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 17

Very timely thread! I'm in search for the perfect rolling pin, my wooden one is not that great for fondant. So HD it is! Thanks for the idea icon_biggrin.gif

MayWest Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #12 of 17

Mine is white. I saw it as I was walking down the isle and the size, length and price caught my eye. I don't see why the grey wouldn't work.

iownajane Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #13 of 17

Thanks!

johnson6ofus Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:26am
post #14 of 17

gray is electrical conduit, white is plumbing. I think I would go with the white just because it is made for "wet". I don't know the difference/ food safety of either. Just thought I would direct you to the correct department...icon_smile.gif

iownajane Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #15 of 17

Thanks...I was wondering if it was a good idea or not...I'll have to look a little harder for white...funny the only white they had holes in it...Somebody must have the white up here!
Thanks again!

Justbeck101 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #16 of 17

Another Great thing I have wanted to try is the ceiling tiles that are plastic with different designs on them. I think they would be great for fondant. Just dust them well!
Rebecca

superstar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #17 of 17

I have had mine for a long time, my DH filled it with sea sand & put end pieces on it & now it is so nice & heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%