Require A Tasting???

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 2:20am by snarkybaker

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 9

Ok - this post is kind of an extension of a previous post (where the groom absolutely hated the wedding cake & didn't have a tasting, nor participated much in the regular appointment).

So - yeah, I'm over that whole thing. I'm just trying to move on/improve, if necessary.

My dh & this guy (I'm a member of his networking business) think I need to require tastings from now on. I would like to get feedback from the rest of you guys who do this everyday (unlike dh and this guy, lol)

I have a problem requiring people to have tastings because:

1) Not everyone is from around here. A lot of people come to this area for destination weddings.

2) My personal opinion of tastings are: they are a pain! I offer 3 different flavors (4 cupcakes each - so I make a dozen cupcakes)

3) My tastings are $40 - how am I supposed to require someone to pay for something?

I would like all your opinions on this.

I already have a signed contract with a bride who never had a tasting, and I have a potential bride emailing me (not from the area) and she can't do a tasting for a wedding at the end of the month.

8 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 9

I think it would be a little silly to force someone to try your cake. You could have a bride who wants a pretty cake at her reception, but doesn't like it herself, is allergic, diabetic, etc.
I totally understand why you want to.
You could consider just having people sign a waiver saying they hadn't tasted your cakes, or having a clause somewhere in your contract about not tasting, but approving anyway.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 9

From my experience in corporate american, dealing with office policies and procedures, HR rules and regulations, I know that it is impossible to have a policy to cover all contingencies. And everytime you try, you will find a loophole that needs ANOTHER policy to cover it. It becomes a never ending battle that you cannot win.

I think this is one of those exception things ..... I dont' think it's going to be a repeat issue. We have just as many stories about brides/grooms who complain about the taste/texture and they DID have a tasting, so having one is no guarantee.

Sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and say, "Next!"

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:04am
post #4 of 9

Why require a tasting if someone is willing to hire you "taste untasted?" icon_smile.gif (as opposed to sight unseen??) Anyway, I have people who hire me on the basis of word of mouth all the time, and I don't require them to taste before they put down a deposit. They usually want to do a tasting at some point, but I've done cakes for people who are from out of state and don't do a tasting. You're right, don't make more work for yourself.

And don't think that people who do tastings are immune from complaints...Some people are going to complain about things no matter what you do, I think that's what you ran into with the last jerk you wrote about in the other thread you mentioned...

Think about it this way...When you go to a restaurant and order a meal, you don't ask for a taste beforehand. 99% of people will enjoy their meal, but there's always going to be one person who doesn't like it...Oh well, you can't please everyone.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9

You know I like summernoelle's idea. You can included a 'checkbox'/initial on your contract saying something along the lines of 'This vertifies I was waived my right to a tasting and as such will be ordering my cake without having sampled BAKERY'S cakes.'

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 9

Hiya
I too understand why you now feel this is necessary but I think you need to keep things in perspective.

1. This guy was a twit.
2. He was so 'concerned' about the cake that texting was more of a priority.
3. Had you a long list of former clients who were dissappointed with your cakes then maybe rethink things -YOU DON'T! Your other clients have enjoyed their cakes.
4. Did I mention he was a twit? icon_lol.gif

You know your procuct, you have had great success til this 'person' icon_evil.gif ( if i say anything else bad about him someone will get their knickers in a twist coz he's entitled to his opinion etc. etc. and shout at me) came along and upset your apple cart. I'll bet he has moved on and is bothering not to mention swearing down the phone at some other poor soul who just happened to cross his path.

Take a deep breath, bake yourself your most decadent cake, eat, enjoy and forget about him.

Lecture over icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Oh and i'll take a bit of that cake too! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the feedback icon_biggrin.gif

That's what I was thinking too - who says just because they had a tasting they're not going to complain!? Yeah, and I don't want to have a million policies & then have a million more to cover the previous million.

I have decided to simple syrup and torte all my cakes anyway because of the previous groom.

Besides, wouldn't that sound weird if someone wanted to order a cake and I said "but you have to taste it first" icon_confused.gif

LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 9

When we lived in HI, there was a Bakery that had the same name as my daughter and being the dork that I am, always went there for our baked goods. They do a lot of destination weddings as well and I asked her whether or not they ever had samples and she said, generally they don't and no one ever complains. They're just so excited about getting married in HI and most of the time they order these Haupia cakes and they don't even know what it is but they are thrilled nonetheless.
Besides when we got our cake my husband walked into the place and pointed to the cake and said that was the one he wanted. The lady said he hadn't even tasted any yet and he said he didn't care that was the cake he wanted and if it tasted like cr*p, oh well. Now mind you he had been through this before, I had not but I had plenty of friends who had this shop's cakes so I knew they were good. But she just couldn't get over picking a cake without tasting first.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #9 of 9

Raise your prices enough to cover the costs associated with a tasting. I don't require a tasting, but I do price my wedding cakes ( cakes over $350) so that I can offer free samples. I charge $35 for the tasting, but credit it toward the purchase of wedding cakes. I have a shop, so I always have cupcakes etc, to give a potential customer.

Our cakes have a distinct style. They are very European. They are rich and dense and very highly flavored. Honestly, it's too much for some people. I prefer to deal with it upfront rather than have an unsatisfied customer whether they end up complaining or not.

Some flavors, like champagne, almond pound, and mango-cayenne, I won't make unless the customer has tasted the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%