Mmf Troubleshooting!

Baking By mharrisdtoys Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm by toleshed

mharrisdtoys Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 3

I am fairly new at cookie decorating and have been an avid CC reader for a few months now. It is highly addictive like they say. I really like Antonia's icing but am trying different methods and I have liked many CC'ers MMF cookies here. I tried it this am and have a few questions:

First, I rolled out a little at a time and found it very easy to transfer to my warm cookies, but when I wanted to color the MMF it got warm alittle, after working the color in, and the cutouts pulled to double their size. Then, I cutout the shapes and before I lifted I put in the freezer for a few minutes and it did help a little.

Second, after my MMF cookies cooled they had some heat bubbles on them and it looked a little funny.

Any suggestions?

2 replies
wyckedwytch Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 3

I can't help you with the bubbling, because I only use it on cold surfaces, but if it gets tacky after you add color to it knead in some more powdered sugar, and coat your work surface with cornstarch or p.s.

If you use decorator's coloring..wilton, americolor etc you shouldn't have to add as much as the stuff you pick up at the grocery store (I'm not sure what you use, but it's a good tip for everybody!).

Have fun!

toleshed Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

Yeah, like wyckedwytch says, just dust your surface with cornstarch. Add some ps to your fondant. I also put it on cooled cookies the next day so have never had the bubbles. However, the humidity level was high this week and my fondant was very sticky. Lesson learned - turn on the air conditioner before using fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%