Help With Fondant Animals....please!!!

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm by have_your_cake

hummingbird59 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, this is my first attempt to make jungle animals (or anything) from fondant/gumpaste and have been trying to read all I can for help. I have a few questions though after trying . I mixed my fondant and gumpaste 1/2 & 1/2. When needing it colored I added Wilton coloring with a toothpick. Ques. do you get the color to mix in consistently and not look marbled and also get it dark enough? Ques. #2...Do I need some type of glue to connect body parts and get them to stay? Last ques. #3...How do I get all the creases and ridges to smooth out?

Thanks for any replies and suggestions. I appreciate any advice.

6 replies
janelwaters Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

Hope this helps -

answer #1 - mix, mix, mix, knead, knead, knead - make your husband do it! It takes FOREVER and a lot of color to get it dark enough and completely mixed in.

Answer #2 - I use vodka, gin, or rum - someone else said grain alcohol dries faster. You can also make gum glue (instructions are here somewhere).

Answer #3 - you just have to keep rolling etc. I'm not sure if there is a better way..... maybe someone else acn weigh in on this...

hummingbird59 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much. Guess I am just nervous and trying to make them too quick. This is why I started a week early to make the figures. Will they be ok next weekend and do I need to refrigerate?

Again thanks for your reply.

janelwaters Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 7

As long as no one is going to eat them (I mean who does really?!?!?) They will be fine until next week - it will give them good time to really dry and "set"

have you been to she is just AMAZING with modeling - check it out, there are a lot of free tutorials that should help too.

make sure you post pics!! I wanna see your finished work.

Bossy Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 7

I find that if the cracks do not roll out, I can rub a little shortening onto my hands/fingers and then roll and form my critters. The mix of gumpaste and fondant tend to crack if you over handle it or when it gets to dry.

tonedna Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7

Usually criso helps with the cracks, roll until smooth.
Some people use toothpicks to connect the parts and for support. Others use spaguetti. I like a glue with some consistency so I use either gumpaste dissolved in water or tylose with water.
Good luck
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

have_your_cake Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

if you use the precolored fondant and mix it into the white to get your desired color, it combines much faster than mixing in gel color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%