Could It Be Mold?!!???

Decorating By sarahpierce Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm by seasonsmoke

sarahpierce Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 15

I baked my first WASC on Tuesday. I let it cool completely, wraped it in cling wrap, and put it in the freezer. I took it out today and carved it into a topsey turvey, when I noticed a greenish color on the cake where I cut. This couldn't possibly be mold could it? Was it maybe a reaction from the knife I used? The cake is moist, but mold? HELP!!

14 replies
DianeLM Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 15

Okay, I'm going to put myself in a rather embarrassing position to help calm you down.

I had the exact same situation when I first started making WASC. I was told that it's not mold. But I can't remember what it is!

For some reason, I don't get it anymore. And since I can't remember what is causing it, I can't remember how I resolved it. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Bottom line is, don't worry about it. That much I can be sure of.

Definitely have to quit inhaling all that sugar...

sarahpierce Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 15

I think some sugar got into my brain. I had my DH look at it and I think it may of been some food coloring or something on my fingers, I don't know. I'm breathing slowly, and trying to calm myself. Thank you. If you do figure it out let me know. icon_redface.gif

DianeLM Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 15

Whew! That's a relief.

It sure is getting crowded in this rubber room... icon_lol.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 15

If you wrapped it in aluminum foil then that is most likely the problem. When it's touching something like cake and there is any moisture in that spot it leaves green stuff. I don't know what it is called. It's happened to me, too.

sarahpierce Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:18am
post #6 of 15

I didn't use aluminum foil, but my knife could of been the problem. I am thinking maybe it's a chemical reaction.

indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 15

Agree it was the knife. When I leveled a cake the other day, there appeared to be black-ish "stuff" on the cake that caused me to look closer. Figured out it was from the knife. Sometimes a film gets on the more expensive knives when they come out of my dishwasher. I neglected to wipe this one down before I used it.

DianeLM Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 15

I wish I could agree that it was the knife. However, when this happened to me (in a previous life, obviously) I would see it before any utensil touched the cake.

Could have been my cake pans... my pan release... cooling rack... I'll be dingdanged if I can remember... sigh

emrldsky Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I wish I could agree that it was the knife. However, when this happened to me (in a previous life, obviously) I would see it before any utensil touched the cake.

Could have been my cake pans... my pan release... cooling rack... I'll be dingdanged if I can remember... sigh




Most likely your cooling rack. icon_smile.gif I've had this happen before as well.

And as for the knives, if they are high-quality stainless steel, that'll do it too. To get the tarnish off stainless steel, use Barkeeper's Friend.

jpcs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 15

It may be a reaction to the steel/aluminum used...I've had the same thing happen when I've used inexpensive springforms on cheesecakes. The bottom looks disgusting, but I know it's not mold cause I just made it!

banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 15

It could be mold.

Sometimes cakes can feel cold on the outside and yet still be warm in the middle.

It takes longer than you might think for a cake to be completely cold, not cool and less heat than you think for bacteria to breed.

So wrapping it up would create perfect mold breeding conditions if it was in anyway slightly warm in the middle.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 15

I get this sometimes too on white cakes and I use bettycrocker mixes. It is from the cooling rack.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Agree it was the knife. When I leveled a cake the other day, there appeared to be black-ish "stuff" on the cake that caused me to look closer. Figured out it was from the knife. Sometimes a film gets on the more expensive knives when they come out of my dishwasher. I neglected to wipe this one down before I used it.




I never put my knives in the dishwasher. The chemicals (especially the industrial ones) do funky things to the stainless steel. The high pressure force of the water can acutally dull the blade as well as push them into other things in the dishwasher causing even more problems.

Those babies are expensive!! I always wash them by hand.

cariage Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 15

just a thought...I didn't think mold could grow in the freezer. I thought it needed a warm environment.???? maybe someone here knows if that's true.

seasonsmoke Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 15

I don't believe it is mold. But it would make you look twice. Not sure what is causing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%