Centre Dowel?

Decorating By wildflower Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm by wildflower

wildflower Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 3

hi guys
i have to deliver my first wedding cake today,it is a 12,9.6 inch along with a 9,6 [separate]and a single 6
my question was that i will be assembling the cake on site as its my first and i dont want to have any disasters,but for the centre dowel is one 1/4 "wooden dowel enough for support or should i use 2 jus to be safe?
i learned about sps after i had already told the bride the price or else i would have jus incoporated that into my costs
also,i was thinking of using 6 dowls on the bottom tier[12]and 4 on the 9 inch
is that a good amount?
thnx so much for ur help[im kindda freaking out on this one,i had a near disaster yesterday while i was icing and have been on edge ever since plus the bride hasnt paid the final balance yet,she was supposed tp transfer it yesterday but im hoping its there before i deliver,id hate to be the heartless deocrator who called for her money on her wedding day...]
anyway thnx in advance and pray all goes well!

2 replies
DianeLM Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 3

Since you're assembling onsite, you don't need a center dowel. That's only for stability while transporting a fully assembled cake.

I would recommend no fewer than 8 dowels under the 9-inch and 5 dowels under the 6-inch.

I know you don't want to be heartless, but believe me, if the reception hall wasn't paid for, there'd be no dinner. icon_wink.gif I hope it all works out!

A little freaking out is okay. Take some deep breaths. And drink plenty of water. Don't want to dehydrate on the big day!

wildflower Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

thnx sooo much
i was originally thinking around that many dowels but i remember someone saying here that too many dowels will also cause the cake to become less stable[indydebi?]andi just keep picturing these horrible scenarios in my head where liek weve seen on americas funniest home videos where the wedding cake jus topples over or breaks and omg[sooo not funny!!!]
but if uve done that many and nothing has happened then hopefully[fingers crossed]it will be ok!
thnx soo much againicon_smile.gif
heheh and i love the drink plenty of water thing,water,the solution to soo many problemsicon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%