Recommendations For Gumpaste/fondant Cutters?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm by raquel1

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a favorite gumpaste/fondant cutter set? I would like to purchase a set, but wasn't sure which one to buy. I realize that it depends on what I want to make, but is there a set that you recommend (i.e a particular brand)? Also, are there any certain "must have" shapes that I should look for...such as the set should have a multiple size circles, etc. Thanks!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

I have everything from the cheap green Wilton flower cutter set to imported $$$ individual cutters in interesting shapes. I don't think there's one right answer to your question. Buy what you can afford and looks interesting and keep adding on as you get more funds.

KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 8

I love love love my Jem sets. I got mine from the big bad wolf (s ugarcraft) and they weren't expensive at all for the tons on versatile cutters that come inside. High quality too.

PinkZiab Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Leah, just go with what you can afford to start and buy shapes and things as you need them. Also, don't limit yourself to looking for "fondant" and "gumpaste" cutters... generally you'll pay more for things labeled this way anyway. I mean some purpose made cutters are great, but look around the net and at craft and houseware stores and you'd be surprised at what pops out as useful to you.

raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 8

I definetely depends on what you like to make. I like to make roses and pretty fondant borders so my favorite brand is FMM for both. I got the 65mm and 90mm five petal rose cutter, and the rose petal cutter set of five for when I want to make individual petals. Their "celebration" and "straight frills" cutter sets are great for any border I may want. I could just go crazy with just this brand. That said, I have bought one "theme" at a time, wether it is roses, borders, a pretty orchid, etc...Master it and then move on adding to your arsenal icon_biggrin.gif

fluttercakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 8

I'm like Leah, I have the cheaper Wilton cutters up to the imported ultra $$$ jobs! I love the metal cutters because of the sharp edges, but I do use my plastic cutters quite a bit (ie. Jem 90mm Rose Cutter for example).

Get what you can afford, and start with the flowers you would most likely get more requests for. For example, I first started with the rose and simple I have so many ranging from orchids to ivy! Have fun!

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all your input. I was wondering if you could please let me know what are the pros and cons of metal vs. plastic cutters. Anyone else have a preference?

raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 8

Metal is great, but some more intricate shapes come in plastic. Plastic is fine if good quality with sharp edges, so you really end up with a combination of both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%