Business From Home Or Store Front?

Business By mommy2owen Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm by fluttercakes

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I know this question has probably been asked a million times, and every situation is different, but humor me please. icon_wink.gif

Here's my situation...I've been making cakes for 8 years. Business has kept me so busy from the beginning, but for the last couple of years it's been even better. I've been planning on sectioning off a portion of my home to make my bakery. I contacted the department of agriculture and got all the info, but I've been eyeing a small building near my home, that I pass every day when I go walking.

Anyway, today when I was walking, there was a man mowing the yard. I stopped and asked him if it belonged to him and if he was willing to lease it. He said it did and that he had been using it to store some candle making supplies, but that he would rent it for $300 a month....no deposit, just first month's rent. It's on a busy street so it would get a lot of exposure. It's next to a barbeque restaurant.

It had been a beauty salon so it has water and a bathroom. It's small, about 500-600 sq feet, but that's about the same size as the area I was going to section off in my home.

So, I need some advice. Which is better???? Pro's and con's???? Help! icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 4

Not much advice here, I am very new to caking. But this sounds promising!

I know you plan on sectioning off your home but that would also be putting your home at risk regarding liability.

Insurance is a must, but it is for whatever you choose.

Out of your home you may be able to set your own hours easier.

You can at a shop too but normally when it is a shop people generally expect it to be open certain hours etc.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 4

A shop is a lot of work!! (I opened mine in January) If nothing else, theres the extra work just to cover that brand new overhead.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4

I would love to operate a storefront, but there is no way I'd get a decent deal on rent let alone the utilities, advertising, etc, etc. Also, not to mention all the commercial equipment you would need to buy. The good thing about working out of your home is that you can set the hours...you don't have to have 'set in stone' ones! Also, you can get the normal fridges, freezers, and ovens...even though some of the commercial ones are AWESOME!

I want to be able to convert a section of our house for my bakery business (right now I'm renting kitchen space), but our house isn't big enough. So, that is something that has to wait until we move to a larger home!

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%