Packaging A Freezing The Top Layer

Decorating By kholton3 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm by blue123

kholton3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kholton3 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all..First, I want to say I love this site! I sure wish I'd found it years ago. Did a wedding cake yesterday and thanks to all the information here, I had a good time doing it..didn't cry halfway through like the others I've done!

I am wondering if there is an article or information somewhere that I can give to the bride on how to package up and freeze the top layer. Thank you!!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

A lot of bakers are opting to give the bride a choice of keeping the top tier for a year .... or getting a coupon for a free anniversary cake on their first anniversary. Since I started offering this, I've had about a 100% rate on the coupone thing.

But .... for those who keep the top, I' wrap the box in good saran wrap, then wrap that pretty well in alum. foil.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 7

Found this online that you might be able to email to your brides or provide a link on your website: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/displaying-cakes/storing-top-tier-wedding-cake.cfm

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 7

I do the same thing Indydebi does... In fact I had a bride call me the other day, to let me know that they unwrapped their anniversary tier from the freezer and it was as moist as it was the day of their wedding! She said they took the fondant off though, because it was kind of gooey on the outside (probably just from condensation), and they only expected to eat just a little piece, but ended up eating the entire 6" square!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 7

I instruct my brides to double-wrap their box in Saran Wrap, then double-wrap it in freezer foil, and then put the box in a paper grocery sack, which they are to tape and then clearly label it.

Bring it out the morning of the anniversary and let it thaw. In the last hour or so, bring it out of the wrappings and let the condensation evaporate.

If the cake is packaged and stored properly, it really will be great. Poor wrapping for long-term freezer storage is usually the culprit for gross anniversary cakes. icon_smile.gif

kholton3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kholton3 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 7

Awesome. Thanks! I like the idea of an anniversary cake coupon. That is cool.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I instruct my brides to double-wrap their box in Saran Wrap, then double-wrap it in freezer foil, and then put the box in a paper grocery sack, which they are to tape and then clearly label it.

Bring it out the morning of the anniversary and let it thaw. In the last hour or so, bring it out of the wrappings and let the condensation evaporate.

If the cake is packaged and stored properly, it really will be great. Poor wrapping for long-term freezer storage is usually the culprit for gross anniversary cakes. icon_smile.gif

That's exactly what I do. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%