Brush Embrodiery Help Asap!!!

Decorating By shel35 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm by kakeladi

shel35 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cake due Tuesday and the customer wants brush embrodiery flowers on it. I have never done the brush embrodiery before. The cake will be iced in buttercream and I have read that the embrodiery is to be in RI. Knowing BC and RI don't work together I need Help!!! Is there some way I can do this with butercream icing? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

9 replies
LizAnn Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 10

It's done with buttercream. In fact, I just did my very first brush embroidery on a wedding cake for today and it was simple. I used thin consistency BC and with a dampened small paintbrush I lightly brushed the icing lines in the direction I wanted them to go .... worked beautifully ! HTH

rayven Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 10

I have done it with bc also. Just do it the way LizAnn suggested!!

kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 10

It is a technique that can be very 'adaptable' icon_smile.gif
Using b'cream, Just pipe an outline w/a smallish round tip - say #3 or 4. Allow to set up a few minutes.
Using a dampened paint brush, on the inside of the flower pull some of the outline icing into the flower. Wal-lah, brushed embroideryicon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 10

I like to thin the buttercream with corn syrup for brushing.. good luck!

raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 10

I haven't done brush embroidery on BC, so far I've only done it on fondant cakes. That said I would make a small practice area of BC spread very smooth on parchment or wax paper, let it crust very well and get the hang of how much pressure with the brush, how much to extend, etc. I also mix in a little pipping gel into the BC I use for the embroidery. HTH

terrylee Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 10

You can draw free hand or by pattern. Draw your outline of the flower and/or leafs with BC as Lizann said above. Don't outline to many ahead, you want the BC soft so it will brush into the flower smoothly.

Check out pictures of cakes done. It till give you an idea of floral shapes and designs. and how the icing is brushed. It is such a beautiful technique. Good luck. post picture.

shel35 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Another question... How thin should the BC icing be to do this? Thanks

KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 10

also you can put royal onto bc

kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 10

No softer than medium consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%