Fruit Curd Recipes

Decorating By CarolAnn Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm by PattyT

CarolAnn Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 18

Some time ago I saw a discussion about curds here someplace. It was probably within a thread about fillings or something, but I remember that there was reference to a recipe/recipes for making curds other than the classic lemon curd which I absolutely love. Who can point me in the direction of those recipes? I found (on another site) a recipe for cranberry lemon curd that sounds out of this world for winter/the holidays. Some things are just for winter in my book. Okay, I know you have what I want/need. I'm going to get the jelly jars this afternoon. I'll make it, pour in the jars, let them sit until they cool and pop the seals down then freeze. It'll keep for ages in the freezer.

Thanks!!!
Carol

17 replies
costumeczar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 18

Did you look on epicurious.com? That's a great site for recipes because everything's been rated by other people and you can skip the duds! thumbs_up.gif

I don't know if this will help much, but you can make lime curd using a lemon curd recipe and reducing the sugar by a little bit (eliminate a Tbsp or so for every 1/2 cup of sugar in the lemon recipe)

I've also made orange curd using orange juice concentrate and the lemon curd recipe that I usually use, and it works well. If you start with straight juice you usually have to reduce it first, so the concentrate skips that step. You also use a little less sugar inthe orange than you would in the lemon.

CarolAnn Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 18

Hey thanks! In one day I'd already forgotten I started that topic! I intend to make some yummy curds for our winter enjoyment. Orange sounds delicious!
Not sure I'd use lime curd, but the strawberry lime sounds really good! Hopefully someone here will remember where I read about curds. I agree that epicurious.com is a great site. I'll check later today and see if I saved any recipes there for curds. They're simple to make, I was just hoping to locate the info I'd seen a while back. KWIM?

Thanks,
Carol

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 18

Hey was it in the recipes from our long cupcake thread? I think I remember some type of curds in there ? I havent been back through for a while though, Might be worth a look. Just click my link !

ericaann79 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 18

Try the thread "I love Curd"...if you want to make different one's all I do is substitute the lemon juice for a different type of fruit juice...works wonderfully!

CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:10am
post #6 of 18

Hey Fiddlesticks, THANKS for all 93 new recipes!! LOL, yes there was a curd recipe in there too. The one I use doesn't have cornstarch in it. I've had some in my deep freeze for a few years and they're still good as day one when I use them. As long as the seals are still down. I'll check int the "I love curd" thread too. Thank you!!

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 18

Your Welcome ! Can someone post a link to the "I love curd" thread please ? I cant get it to come up!! Thanks much !
And CarolAnn, If you get a chance try a few of those recipes The ones I have tried have been yummmy, and you can always change it up to your likeing to !

CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 18

Okay, we're waiting for someone to "cough up" (maybe gross but I sometimes like to use this expression...lol) the I Love Curd thread. Ihaven't found it in my stuff yet. Gee, I hope it didn't go down with the crash earlier in the year!

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 18

CarolAnn.. Im glad its not just me ! I thought I just wasent finding it ?

CakesByLJ Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Hey was it in the recipes from our long cupcake thread? I think I remember some type of curds in there ? I havent been back through for a while though, Might be worth a look. Just click my link !

Hey ya'll.... I think it was the cupcake thread that someone brought up the curds.. I took the bait and tried them... they are delish.. and they are from The Cake Bible thumbs_up.gif The lemon, lime and orange are to die for...... icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 18

Hey Laura how are ya ??Thanks, I know there were some there, I just thought maybe there was another whole thread about it after what ericaann79 posted a few lines up ? But glad to know those were good to ! Thanks!

jules1719 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 18

Rose Levy's Cake Bible has recipes for lemon, lime, orange and passion curds. A quick internet search will turn up a Martha Stewart recipe for pineapple curd.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #13 of 18

It was in the business section and I believe it was one of the posts that got lost in the crash earlier this year. You may try searching for threads because there have beena a few other curd topics since then that may have some of the recipes you want in them.

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:04am
post #14 of 18

Thanks for the replies everyone !

JennaB Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #15 of 18

Here a super easy Lemon Curd recipe, I have successfully used it for Lime Curd and Tangelo Curd (I added alittle ground cardamom spice to the tangelo which was phenomenal). In the cupcake thread, i mentioned using the Tangelo Curd as filling for my Orange Flower Water and Cardamom spice cupcakes.

1 C Lemon Juice
1/8 C Lemon Zest
1 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
6 whole eggs
12 whole egg yolks
5/8 lb butter, cold and in chunks

Beat together all ingredients except butter in bowl. Place over double boiler stirring constantly. Usually after foam dissipates it will start to thicken quickly. When mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, remove from heat and whisk in butter one chunk at a time. Cool and refrigerate.

LadyMike Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #16 of 18

Hi CarolAnn!

This was a recipe I got from a thread here on CC. I don't remember what the thread was about &/or who suggested it. icon_redface.gif (Thanks to whoever did!) What really caught my eye about this particular recipe, was that you can do it on top of the stove or even in the microwave. My DH and I made lemon, Key lime, and orange in the microwave.

I really loved the orange curd because it was subtle enough that you got the hint of orange without it overwhelming the taste of the cake. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

The lemon curd was really good too. It was very flavorful & tart, but I really like it that way. I always use a cake flavor that is very delicate when using the lemon curd because I want to taste the tartness of the lemons. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Then we get to the Key lime. icon_cry.gif Maybe I should have used regular limes, or maybe it is supposed to be that way, but it was really way too "over-the-top". I may try it again, but I really didn't like it. thumbsdown.gif I love Key Lime pie, so I thought it would be "out of this world". icon_confused.gif I guess that'll teach me for not following the recipe exactly the first time I make it. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I absolutely hate using a double-boiler unless there isn't any other way to cook something I need/want. icon_mad.gif But that's another story. icon_wink.gif

I hope it works well for you too. It got a lot of good reviews. BTW - Make sure you cook it until it's thickened and then give it plenty of refrigeration time. You may even want to make it a day or two ahead of when you need it.

Good luck & HTH.

http://www.recipezaar.com/61278

Friends in CCC,
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #17 of 18

Oh goody, lots of help!! I'm going to be doing more searches and then trying some new flavors soon in addition to more lemon curd. Someplace I saw a recipe for strawberry lime curd, which I think sounds wonderful on bagels among other things. I put my curd right into jelly jars, slap on the lids and rings and set them on the counter to cool and seal themselves. You hear them pop as they seal and once cooled I label then pop them in the freezer. Couldn't be easier and they make fantastic gifts.

Thanks everyone. Keep the great ideas coming!
Carol

PattyT Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #18 of 18

The thread was called "What to do with egg yolks". I recall posting to it - so searched my list of forum posts.

Here you go: Hope it helps!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=582358&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%