Making Roses W/ Buttercream

Decorating By kutabby Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 4:56am by lisa78332

kutabby Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I learned the stick technique last week for making roses and pretty much mastered it during class. My teacher had us using royal icing, but had said that we could use stiff buttercream too. I've been trying to make them tonight (with the champagne icing on this site) and they are not working! Everytime I go to put a petal on, all the icing just starts floating around the stick. It was very stiff, so that wasn't my problem. When I finally gave up, I did realize that the icing didn't even stick to my fingers when picked up - so that kinda explains why it wouldn't adhere to the stick icon_redface.gif
So, I'm going to try again w/ another buttercream recipe. Is there something that needs to be in the recipe that would help guarantee success? Thanks so much!!!

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #2 of 3

The only thing that needs to be in the recipe is fat (Crisco); sugar & water.
It's the ratio of fat & sugar that works it;s magic.
Your Wilton Class Buttercream recipe with the least amount of water called for (or just slightly *more*) should be just right.

lisa78332 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:56am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The only thing that needs to be in the recipe is fat (Crisco); sugar & water.
It's the ratio of fat & sugar that works it;s magic.
Your Wilton Class Buttercream recipe with the least amount of water called for (or just slightly *more*) should be just right.

This is what I use, and it works great for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%