Wasc - Thank You!!!

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm by moxey2000

LadyPol Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 22

Thank you to all who posted to my "WASC - What am I doing wrong?" thread. I was underbaking them without realizing it and after making that change, my cakes came out beautifully!

Attached is a picture of the final result, finished today at 4:00pm (just in time to deliver it to the birthday girl). The bottom tier is 12" vanilla (colored pink as per request) with Bavarian cream filling and the top tier is 8" strawberry lemonade cake with strawberry cream cheese filling (thanks, Alana).

Thank you again for ALL of your help!! CCer's are the BEST!
LL

21 replies
maryj Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:46am
post #2 of 22

It is beautiful, congratulations. Your writing is perfect. Strawberry lemonade...sounds delicious, would you mind posting the recipe?

Luby Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 22

Your cake is beautiful - glad it finally turned out icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 22

Beautiful outcome!!
That's the one thing about WASC cake is that there is no 'rule of thumb' to baking times! Glad you figured it out!

Meemawfish Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 22

Wow this is so pretty and sounds yummy too. icon_biggrin.gif

raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 22

Beautiful cake! Your flavors sound great icon_biggrin.gif And I will pipe in too about the recipe for the strawberry lemonade (if you don't mind...)

LadyPol Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 22

I followed CCer alanahodgon 's recipe that I found browsing the forums awhile back and saved because it sounded so good! It is SO delicious and I've been receiving lots of rave reviews from the birthday crowd!

Alana's Strawberry Lemonade Cake (as posted by her):

1/2 box white cake mix
1/2 box yellow cake mix
1 cups flour
1 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cups sour cream
1/4 cup freshly squeezed and strained lemon juice plus water to equal 1 1/3 cups liquid (it could probably use more lemon juice if you like it more lemony)
zest of 1 large lemon
2 Tbs vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 tsp lemon extract

Mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes.

I'm sure you could use all white or all yellow cake mix, but when I made this I made a double batch for a large cake and used one box of each. I've just scaled it down for you all.

Strawberry puree
Cook 1 bag of frozen or 1 quart of fresh strawberries till the berries are soft but still holding their shape. Strain the liquid and reserve for another use (like strawberry cake mmmm.....) Puree the strawberries and add granulated sugar to taste. I think I added about 1/4 cup to this amount of berries.

Fill prepared pans with cake batter. Drop dollops of strawberry puree on top of batter and swirl with a knife to get a marbled effect.

Bake at 350ish for the length of time recommended for your sized pans.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup strawberry puree with 2 Tbs granulated sugar added
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Whip cream slightly, add powdered sugar and continue whipping to stiff peaks. Set aside. Whip cream cheese till soft and smooth. Add sweetened strawberry puree and blend. Gently fold whipped cream into strawberry/cheese mixture.

I used all yellow cake and baked mine at 325 ... it is SO good!

raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks so much, you're a sweetheart for taking the time to share icon_biggrin.gif ! I will definitely make it.

gabbenmom Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 22

Your cake looks great!!! Thank you for sharing the strawberry lemonade cake recipe!!! I can't wait to try it!!!!!

penguinprincess Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 22

Your cake looks amazing!! Would you mind sharing your barvarian cream recipe, Please?

superstar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 22

Thanks for the recipe & your cake looks wonderful.
So glad everything turned out so well.

bwonderful Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 22

I second the request for the bavarian cream filling. I've always wanted to try that one. please.

alanahodgson Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 22

Your cake looks fabulous and I'm glad you like my recipe!

alanahodgson Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 22

Your cake looks fabulous and I'm glad you like my recipe!

LadyPol Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 22

No great recipe for bavarian cream, I'm sorry to say. I purchased the filling from a local cake supply shop - this is the second time I've used it and everyone loves it!

Thanks for the compliments - I am rather proud of this one, icon_biggrin.gif

regbevjon Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #16 of 22

YAY!!!!! I'm SO happy that you found your answer....I knew you would, this place ROCKS!

kristina67 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 22

Please post a link to the What am I doing wrong link. I've made WASC a couple of times and am not so excited, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong because everyone loves it so much.

superstar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:23pm
post #19 of 22

I am thinking that you are not baking your cakes for long enough.

milissasmom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #20 of 22

Oh my! This is beautiful! Great job! I made the WASC for the first time last week and didn't like it at all!!!!!!! I am a scratch baker but someone here challenged me a while back to make it and swore I would never want to make another white cake! Didn't work out that way for me BUT my client liked it (although she did mention it was different from the other whilte cakes she ordered from me in the past). So I will stay with my scratch white cake. Just didn't like the texture or the flavor (I don't even know what I was expecting)!!lol...I was up for the challenge though and I am so happy that so many people find this recipe a life saver! I was looking forward to trying it myself but it just didn't work out well for me icon_cry.gif I love the design of this cake...it is BEAUTIFUL....great job I am sure the birthday girl loved it!

ceani Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 22

what is wasc? sorry i'm new here.

moxey2000 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #22 of 22

White Almond Sour Cream cake.

There's a sticky in the forums section with all the abbreviations on it. It's really helpful when you're new here thumbs_up.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%