First Time Luster Duster User..

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm by julzs71

doublecz1103 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 5

i just bought a small jar of luster dust tonight to play around with for the first time...

i have no idea how to use it. lol

do i just dust it on or do i mix it with anything??? how long does it last or how much can i cover with a small jar???

any help or tips on luster dust would be great icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
auntsteff Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 5

I just painted a cake with luster on Wednesday (sorry, haven't posted it yet).

I used a small plate (NOT a paper one), and I got a small ramikan of clear vanilla. You can also use a clear liquor such as vodka, because the alcohol will evaporate.

Get your paintbrush wet in whatever liquid you decide to use, then dip that in the luster. Swirl it around on the plate until you have the right consistency. You may need to add more liquid or more powder.

Paint your cake!

SWEETBAKES Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 5

You can also use luster dust on fondant or gumpaste. You can dry brush the luster dust onto fondant or gumpaste pieces, or you can wet paint (liquor/extract mixed with luster) onto the pieces or the cake itself.

Ro40 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 5

I mixed the luster dust with a very small amount of vodka and it turned into the consistency of paint. I used it to make white chocolate rings look silver. For some reason I can't download the photo, but if you look at my pictures you will see it there. The rings are sitting atop yellow cupcakes with pink icing.

julzs71 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETBAKES

You can also use on fondant or gumpaste. You can dry brush the onto fondant or gumpaste pieces, or you can wet paint (liquor/extract mixed with luster) onto the pieces or the cake itself.

ditto

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%