Buttercream Icing

Decorating By CakeNewbie7 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 2:28am by tracey1970

CakeNewbie7 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #1 of 5

A friend of mine is trying to make buttercream icing and she seems to think meringue powder is in the recipe of the old wilton class receipe. Can someone help me and tell me if the receipe calls for meringue powder, and what it does in the recipe

4 replies
Luby Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 5

I don't know about the old Wilton class recipe, but I've always used meringue powder in my Buttercream icing. I believe it helps in the "crusting" and also if you are trying to use certain colors the meringue powder will give you a "truer" color (at least that's what my instructor said).

icer101 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #3 of 5

it is still taught today for the class buttercream... on the wilton.com, you will see this recipe and so many more.... it stabalizes your buttercream, helps it to crust... and helps your roses and other flowers to hold up better... hth

clarasmommy Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 5

I don't know which recipe you're talking about, but I JUST finished making a recipe, by wilton, with meringue powder. It helps with crusting I do believe.. It's a whipped icing. It's so light and fluffy. Beautiful pure white. Here's the link!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-28-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

tracey1970 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #5 of 5

Meringue powder is called for in Wilton class icing. However, many people on this site have clarified that icing crusts based on the ratio of wet:dry ingredients, not the inclusion of meringue powder. Others like it in there. It's probably what you feel comfortable with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%