I've Got A Weird Feeling About This One...

Business By karateka Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm by karateka

karateka Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 9

I get a call from a lady who has a last minute cake she needs for a 40th birthday party. She claims that they had cancelled the party then changed their minds....

She's very particular about what she wanted, and says the guy has a HUGE ego and wants him bragging about his cake. (No pressure...)

She tells me she's SO tired of the Bonbonerie, HATES Servatii (and tells the whole story why), LOVES Incredible Endings (I guess they weren't free for last minute...).

She changes her mind twice about what flavor she wants. I totally charge her full price and sock her a $20 rush fee as well.

I tell her she has to pay in full now. Doesn't like that, NEVER pays for anything until she gets it. I tell her that's my policy and that's that. She says ok and pays via paypal. Calls me twice to ask how much longer it's going to be before the invoice arrives in her mailbox. Then I have to call her to say I received payment.

Now, I didn't have time to send her a contract. She was buggin out of town until tomorrow. So I've got nothing signed.

She makes sure to tell me that her fiance is the president of the builder's association, and she's a photographer, and they are a "good family". I don't know why she felt compelled to tell me all that....

She ends off our conversation by saying "I'll know you'll pour your heart and soul into this cake, and we really appreciate it." She even tells me that she'll call me for a grooms cake for their wedding late September. So that's good...

Am I being paranoid? I have that funny feeling something is about to go very wrong. Can't put my finger on it. Just feel llike a shoe is about to drop. Anybody else ever get that feeling? icon_confused.gif

8 replies
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 9

She's being a name dropper without actually dropping a name. She's VERY impressed with herself and expects you to treat her with the awe that she thinks she deserves.

unfortunately, I have a relative just like that. fortunately, I love her to death and can overlook how she thinks she's the most popular, well known lady in town .... a legend in her own mind.

It could go either way, but yeah, I'd be ready for the expected "unexpected".

DebBTX Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Indydebi that it could go either way, so be prepared.

When she finds herself wowed with your fantastic cake, you may have a customer that is in a new social circle. It seems to me, that many woman like that enjoy out-doing each other. Your high end orders could increase as they compare themselves to each other, and try to one-up on the next get together. icon_lol.gif

Have fun, and show her what a great cake artist you are.

-Debbie B.

mellormom Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 9

Allways trust your gut! It's usually never wrong. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mellormom Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 9

Allways trust your gut! It's usually never wrong. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 9

a legend in her own mind. LOL!!
indydebi.. Thats what I have always told my kids when they need to be brought down a notch !!
Yep.. sounds like shes full of her self alright !

karateka Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 9

I finished it. She called a bit ago to "see how it's going."

I don't feel well. icon_sad.gif What do I tell her if she demands her $$ back? It has all the elements she requested, the white cake with green stripes and yellow bottom border, balls and tees and "40" on top.

I have to leave town at 530 tomorrow morning and haven't packed yet due to this. I don't have time or the mental capacity for an argument.

I threw some stuff in for free, so I feel she definitely got her money's worth....what do you think? I charged her $132.50 including the $20 rush fee....it's a 12in round chocolate with raspberry filling.

Here it is:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250795&done=1

Jasmine33 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 9

I think it looks awesome!

karateka Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 9

Phew!

She didn't even show up to get it, her fiance did! He said several nice things about it and thanked me for doing it so last minute.

He of course showed up in a Civic (and 30 minutes early!). Had to do some serious adjustment of the seat to get the 15in square box in there, but he did it and it's gone and now I get to go on vacation!

But first I'm going to have a drink!! What was I thinking????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%