Which Is A Better????

Decorating By macksnax Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm by AmyGonzalez

macksnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macksnax Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 4

normally i would bake all my cake and freeze them over night then torte and fill the next. the following day i take the layers frost them in a thin coat of buttercream and fondant. after a little while when they would start to defrost the fondant would get sticky and very shiny. after the cake was completely defrosted and the fondant had lost it shine the fondant would look a little dry and rough. should i maybe frost the cake while frozen and let defrost then fondant the teirs and construct or keep doing what im doing but then place the fondant covered teirs back in the freezer??? any tips or ideas would greatly be appreciated! TIA

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 4

Definately don't cover w/fondant while fzn. You can crumb coat (thin coating of b'cream but don't apply the fondant until the cake is room temp.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:19am
post #3 of 4

Defrost completely before fondanting. As the cake thaws, it gets water on the surface from condensation, since it's soo much colder than the air around it. That water is ruining your fondant.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 4

I agree! icon_biggrin.gif Don't ever cover with fondant unless room temp. Maybe you should put your cake in the fridge instead of the freezer the night before so it won't be so cold and you can be able to decorate it faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%