Mmf Is Rubbery!!! Please Help!!

Decorating By just_for_fun Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm by Tashablueyes

just_for_fun Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 11

I made 2 batches of MMF yesterday, to use today. They are both rubbery and not pliable at all . I tried warming it w/ my hands, but it does not help! What can I do to save it, and what may have caused this???? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
just_for_fun Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 11

anybody? please help!! I was supposed to be finished decorating this cake already!!!

miamiar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, I had the same problem day before yesterday and I stuck mine in the microwave for about 15 seconds at a time and it helped enough so that I could roll it out to at least get the cake covered. Hope that helps, I was in a panic so I know how you're feeling! I just did mine until it felt more like it was supposed to. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

miamiar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 11

Hi, I had the same problem day before yesterday and I stuck mine in the microwave for about 15 seconds at a time and it helped enough so that I could roll it out to at least get the cake covered. Hope that helps, I was in a panic so I know how you're feeling! I just did mine until it felt more like it was supposed to. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

just_for_fun Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 11

Thanx - I'll keep that in mind for next time. I needed this cake finished on friday. Luckily, it was just a cake I was making for my dh's bday, so I changed the whole cake around. I added some more of the chocolate buttercream that was on the cake, and smoothed it. Then I took some Wilton colored fondant that I bought when I still bought that kind of stuff (closed box), and made the decorations out of that. I had planned a more elegant cake, and this was more of a cute cake, but I was almost happy with how it came out.

Horrorxgirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 11

I've had this same exact problem when I use certain brands of marshmallows. I made a ton mmf using store brand marshmallows and I couldn't even get the fondant to roll out enough to cover a 10 inch cake. When I use the Jet-Puffed mini ones I get a perfect clay-like consistency.

just_for_fun Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 11

horrorxgirl - good to know, i'll keep that in mind next time when i buy mm's.

miamiar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 11

That makes so much sense because I KNOW I used the store brand this time and I never could figure it out! Thanks...

LorienSkye Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #9 of 11

Horrorxgirl- Thanks SO much for pointing that out! I almost gave up on MMF but decided to try making it once more and this time it turned out absolutely the perfect consistency. I always buy the storebrand, but ended up having Kraft jet-puffed brand this time because my MIL gave me an extra bag. Now I know..........

The things you learn on CC!

miamiar Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 11

In the past I have used GV brand and it has been fine for me and then of course when I used the Jet Puffed ones. When I had the bad batch, I was using Always Save, and definitely did not come out like I intended - kept having to nuke it just to roll it out enough to cover the cake. Took much longer!

Tashablueyes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 11

I have started putting half the powdered sugar in a bowl, pouring the melted mm's in it and then using greased dough hooks to mix the heck out of it and get it really smooth before I add the rest of the sugar and knead it

soooo much smoother and elastic this way, I think I just can't get it as smooth if I do the first round by hand

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%