Shipping Cakes

Business By judyscakes Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm by all4cake

judyscakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 7

My best friend from high shoool is havina a sweet 16 birthday party for her daughter. I am unable to attend but I will be a making the cakes. The party is 8/9/08. I will be making 8, 10, & 12 inch. I am in California, the party is in New Jersey. The theme is a butterflies and flowers ( I found on thie CC site).

I will be baking the cakes on Sunday, the 3rd. Is that too early, and I will be filling and frosting/fondant on Tuesday 5, shipping fed ed priority overnight. on wednesday. My friend will have to place the decorations on the cake.

I am worried about the filling, if it may spoil. Is Tuesday to early to fill and frost the cakes. Should I pack with dry ice.

The birthday girl is requesting yellow cake with pineapple filling, lemon curd and 1 chocolate cake with chocolate filling.

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

You may have serious problems. the chocolate will likely melt, and the lemon curd should be refrigerated.

There is also NO guarantee that the box will arrive without having been turned over, if not upside down, at least on the side.

But yes, you should probably try dry ice.

all4cake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 7

I would suggest you fill and completely ice your cakes....freeze them solid....wrap and box quickly and securely....and ship them within a cooler with some dry ice packs. Ship decorations and a drawing of set up separately(together if you can do it without damaging them). When it arrives, they should be instructed to unwrap, assemble tiers, and allow to thaw(it's best if it's assemble frozen for someone who may on the timid side). Then, add decorations per your instructions.

Please, forgive me. I don't remember the site where the instructions were...but I remember I did do a search for "how to ship a cake" several months ago and it came up.

all4cake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 7
all4cake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7

eeeeeeeeeeeerg...add b a k i n g 9 1 1 in between the ..

The above ain't the site I found before but it is one until I can find the one of which I was referring.

judyscakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:05am
post #6 of 7

Thanks very much for all of your help.

all4cake Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 7

please, share with us how you finally do it and, if you can, what the result was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%