Realistic Roses

Decorating By crl Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm by jjkarm

crl Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 3

Attached are some roses I made. All but the white rose were made with a 5 petal cutter. The white rose was made with just cutting circles, softening the edges and glueing them on. I saw the technique on a you tube video (Donna Lane I think?). While I think they are ok, I am still striving to get a rose that is pretty and realistic. I find the more layers I add, the less I like the finished product, but I love the look of some of the fuller roses I've seen on here. I get frustrated when I try to manipulate (for lack of a better word) the petals. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

2 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 3

What I notice first is that your base is not covered. The bulb in the center is not found in a real rose. If you will wrap a few petals tightly around the cone and form a point to hide the base, then your roses will look completely different. There is a larger photo of my avatar in my gallery so that you can see what I mean by making the centers tighter.

The general shape is not bad, the petals just need a little more movement. Curl the tips back a little as you make the outer petals, but make each one a little bit different. If you make the edges thinner, then this will make it easier to shape the petals.

You're doing pretty well. It won't be long until you will be making roses that you really like.

jjkarm Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 3

When I first started using a 5 petal cutter the roses looked OK but not like I'd hoped. They were lopsided and not as realistic as others I'd seen. I wanted them to look like tea roses, but they kept coming out looking more like wild roses. I decided to try a few different options and came up with my own instructions on how to use the cutter. Here's the link:

I know it really helped me get the look I wanted. I'm not sure if it's helped other people who have used the instructions, but it may be worth a try. Here's a cake with my roses.

Good luck...I hope it helps you. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%