Fondant Trouble....need Help!!!!

Decorating By lara3teach Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm by lara3teach

lara3teach Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 11

I'm trying to cover cakes with Satin Ice ivory fondant and I'm having a heck of time today. I'm hoping some of you can help me.

When I roll out the fondant (on an Ateco mat coated with Crisco) and flip it onto the cake, it looks all pock-marked. Not big marks, but little marks all over it. What is causing this? Do I need to knead the fondant more? Is it the way I'm rolling it out?

I have (and have watched several times) Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD, and I'm trying to use her techniques. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!! I've covered cakes in fondant before, so this is not a first time. I've not had this problem in the past. But this is for my first wedding cake, I just want it to be perfect, and I'm stressin' here big time! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
tiggy2 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 11

Are the marks on the top of the fondant or under it? If under it then it's your base coat or rolling pin. If on top try using another mat or piece of vinyl and see if that helps. There aren't any dry pieces of fondant mixed in the fondant are there? Did you knead the fondant enough so it is fairly pliable?

mellormom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 11

did you try using cornstarch instead of crisco? When it is really humid out cornstarch works better for me. I could be misunderstanding your question though.

lara3teach Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you both for your quick responses!

The marks are on the side that was touching the mat. There are no dry pieces -- it's a brand new bucket. The fondant was quite soft and pliable when I opened the bucket. It didn't crack very much at all when I kneaded it the first time. Do you think it still needs more kneading? Do I maybe have too much Crisco on the mat?

Thanks again!

tiggy2 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 11

All you need is a thin film of shortening on your mat so if you have a lot that might be causing problems.

lara3teach Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 11

OK, thanks. I'll start all over and see what happens. I appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif

BakerzJoy Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 11

I wish I could help you, but I had the same problem with the same fondant and color. I did a Wedding cake and it was fresh fondant and it seemed to be fine until I layed it on the cake. Then it cracked all over the place and I tried to do some different things with each tier I did and it continued to crack. I just got in touch with the company and they sent me two new buckets of what ever color I needed. I still to this day don't know what went wrong. I used a little powdered sugar on one tier and then shortenening on another, not too much not too little. CONFUSING!!
I just wanted to share, I thought it was weird it was the same brand and color and the same problems.
Good luck with yours, I hope it turns out for you!

sugarshack Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 11

You have too much shortening on the mat ( ask me how I know)....

take most of it OFF the mat. a very thin film

and if you still have a problem, crisco it lightly, then sprinkle a teeny tiny amount of cornstarch over that and proceed as I show in the DVD.

that should fix it.

lara3teach Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It was the shortening. One tier is successfully covered with no pock marks. Yeah!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Now wish me luck with the other 2 tiers! icon_surprised.gif

Thanks again!

PS. Sharon, there's no way I could be doing this cake without having watched your DVDs. I have learned an incredible amount from them. Thank you for sharing your talents!

sugarshack Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 11

I had that same problem years ago and figured out it was the shortening.

YOU ROCK GO GIRL! make sure u post it!

( and thank you for those nice words)

lara3teach Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 11

I just wanted to say thanks again for all the help yesterday. I got the other tiers covered with minimal problems, and the cake is now posted in my gallery.

This cake really meant a lot to me as it is for a good friend. I'm just a hobbyist baker (with no intention to ever be more), but I really wanted her to have a beautiful cake. I'm so grateful for CC and all of you willing to help. Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%