Anyone Use The Whimsical Bakehouse House Buttercream?

Decorating By danijus Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm by pj22

danijus Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 38

I'm wondering about the house buttercream not Kayes which I believe is IMBC. Does anyone use this? Does it crust? Can it stay unrefrigerated? Any info would be appreciated. Also how easy is it to smooth?

37 replies
crisseyann Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 38

I have made it a few times and it is SOOOOOO tasty! It doesn't crust so you can't Viva paper towel it. I used the hot knife trick with ok results. Here is one cake I made using it

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1184887

I used it on this mini tiered cake and it was impossible to smooth, the cake being so small and lightweight, so I just made little spikes!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1184887

Give it a try and post your results. You will LOVE the taste. I left it unrefrigerated with good results. HTH.

jdelectables Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 38

I use this as my whipped frosting as it is less sweet, light and fluffy. It does not crust but is easy to smooth. It is delish.

Dana8 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 38

It is " THE BEST BUTTERCREAM EVER" in my opinion. It does not crust over at all but the flavor can not be BEAT. I refrigerated my cake until an hour before I served it to let the buttercream soften a bit because you use butter in the recipe and it does get hard when refrigerated like normal butter. So just take out your cake an hour before you serve it to get the buttercream to room temperature. Also it makes a very big difference to use high ratio shorteniong in the recipe rather than regular olsd crisco, trust me on this one. I have never recieved so many cpompliments when I make this buttercream. And its not to sweet. Let me know if you make it how you like it.I will never make another buttercream recipe again unless I need it to be crusted over/

SueW Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 38

I was just about to ask the same question icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the info. Can this be made to be a chocolate buttercream too?

danijus Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 38

Thanks for all the great answers. I'll have to give it a try.
I also just got the Cake Bible from the library so I want to try the neoclassical buttercream from there.

Cakepro Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana8

It is " THE BEST BUTTERCREAM EVER" in my opinion.

I agree!

It is also very versatile. It takes any flavor and I often use it as filling in cakes and cupcakes.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 38

I use this icing exclusively.All my customers love it!! It does not crust and yes it can be refridgerated.It is way less sweeter than most buttercreams!It takes awhile to get used to the non crusting thing but it smooths like a dream and reminds me of true whipped bakery icing .

arosstx Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 38

Where would one go to get the recipe of this amazing buttercream? Ya'll are really raving about it!

sweetums1957 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 38

Was just wondering where i might find the recipe to the house buttercream. Would love to try it. Thank you

Patti

HerBoudoir Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

I was just about to ask the same question icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the info. Can this be made to be a chocolate buttercream too?

Just add soft dark chocolate ganache.

Cakepro Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 38

I searched the recipes here and didn't find it but didn't search the forums themselves.

~ Sherri

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 38

Here is the recipe!!!

Whimsical Bake House Buttercream

6 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup boiling water (3/4 cup on hot days)
2 3/4 cup Hi-Ratio or regular vegetable shortening
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) butter

arosstx Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 38

Thank you ever so much! icon_smile.gif

drgrl21 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 38

which one is a better nfrosting, this one or the crusting buttercream. I am getting ready to make it, but I wish I knew which one of the two would be best?

Cakepro Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 38

Which of the two is best will be decided entirely by you. icon_smile.gif

Crusting buttercreams have their place, as do non-crusting buttercreams. They both have pros and cons. You just have to figure out which works better for you! thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #17 of 38

I love this recipe as well! I hate having leftovers because I attack it with a spoon! I made it chocolate by adding 2 oz of melted chocolate chips per cup of frosting (I think this is what they said to do in the book). Yum!

LoriMc Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 38

This is nice for a less sweet, fluffy buttercream, but it is a major pain to smooth. I'm used to using VIVA paper towels on regular buttercream, and this takes so much more time. icon_cry.gif

Cakepro Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #19 of 38

Really? Three years later? LOL

fabray13 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:20am
post #20 of 38

I am not a fan of any type of crusting buttercream. I am going to give this recipe a try!

LoriMc Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I didn't know there was a time limit on when I was allowed to post in threads.

Cakepro Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:31pm
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Quote:

Yeah...

LoriMc Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Quote:

Yeah...

What's the time limit?

lovinlayers Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:14am
post #24 of 38

The Whimsical Bake House Cookbook is a great resource.

That said, the House Butter Cream recipe was not exactly what I was looking for when it comes to taste. The initial mouth feel is great when the frosting first hits my mouth, but it tastes and feels like a true Bakery icing. (Greasy at the back of your palate.)

I used this the other day to ice a cake and was amazed by it's amazing texture beneath the knife. It is a dream to use.

I feel so torn. Like trying to talk myself into liking it when eaten because of it's merits as a cake icing.

I guess I will keep looking. I likely can not have both amazing texture and flavor. Or maybe I'll find it if I keep looking.

icon_cry.gif

pj22 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:54am
post #25 of 38

I made this buttercream just now and when I taste it, it tastes like blobs of gritty butter. Pls help me make this better!! Its for an order icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif can I rectify it?

mbark Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #26 of 38

I was curious and tried this recipe a couple weeks ago. I was not prepared for how "whipped" it turned out. It would be great if that's what you're going for but it's like a whipped cream only in buttercream. I was doing a zebra fondant decor and it was a nightmare to not get the icing all over the black pieces, unlike I've ever experienced. The flavor was ok I felt it needed more flavoring, it just tasted like powdered sugar to me.
I moved on to Epicurious's Decorator Buttercream and really like it.

Cricketina Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 3:52am
post #27 of 38

I made the most delicious crusting buttercream of of Paula Deens on her food network recipe site it calls for vanilla coffee cream powder and to add water to it it worked so well and I got amazing comments...it works amazing under fondant and the taste is beyond delicious...I have only been using that recipe since I first tried it! I will look to see if I can post it...I have tried almost every buttercream and this recipe is perfect and delicious!

pj22 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:48pm
post #28 of 38

I put this buttercream in the fridge and when I taste it now, it feels like I'm eating Crisco out of the can. I'm sorry but what a waste of ingredients... can't seem to find a good reliable buttercream. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

msulli10 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 8:07pm
post #29 of 38

This is a nice light and fluffy buttercream and goes great with cupcakes.

mbark Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:23am
post #30 of 38

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%