Tips On How To Use Sugar (Without Making A Mess)

Baking By smartsexystylish Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 12:38am by Peeverly

smartsexystylish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smartsexystylish Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 3

For my first time experimenting with coloured sugar it was a mess.
I think I wasted alot of the product and got it all over the kitchen!

I was just wondering if there is a simpler way that people have been using/doing that I clearly am missing out on!

I baked ribbon cookies and i was trying to sprinkle the whole cookie with the sugar and it went everywhere.

Is there a product we can buy/make to allow for an easier method of presicse decorating with the sugar?

I also am curious to know if after I have baked my cookie if I can reuse the excess sugar from the bottom of the cookie sheet? I thought it wouldn't be good to use, but I have read that it may be still ok to repackage for later. Thoughts?

I'm a super newb!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 3

If you line a sheet pan or most any container, sprinkle generously, collect the excess and reuse it. If it appears icing as dropped into the sugar, let it all sit with the icing hardens, then sift it to remove the icing lumps.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #3 of 3

If you are going to put colored sugar on the entire cookie you can do the following:

cut out shape and bake cookie, flood with royal icing, take cookie cutter that you used to cut out the shape and place it back over the cookie. Sprinkle colored sugar onto the cookie. This way the cookie cutter keeps the sugar from spilling out around the cookie. I explained this to my mother and she didn't understand how it would work because she only has cookie cutters that have tops on them (the old fashioned ones that have the handles on top, remember) so this only works with cutters that are open (does this make sense?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%