Help!! Frogs And Unicorns Cake Idea???

Decorating By vagostino Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm by xstitcher

vagostino Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! i'm really new to this and i'm trying to do it as a business. My neighbor wants me to do a frogs and unicorns theme cake for her fraternal twins' birthday.
I work mainly with fondant as i have horrible piping skills!!! Any ideas of what to do?? I want it to be awesome as it would be really good advertising for me in the neighborhood.

6 replies
xstitcher Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7

Sorry I don't have any ideas right now. My brain isn't functioning fully (migraine's coming again....) but I thought I'd give you a bump so perhaps someone else can help.

I'll try to think of some ideas over the weekend though!

Good Luck!

kimmypooh79 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:35am
post #3 of 7

My idea comes from a strange place but I have this shower curtain that has fairies, castles, carriages, frogs, and unicorns. What if you could make sort of a fairy tale cake with a frog prince and unicorn. Here's the link to the shower curtain....click on the picture and it will enlarge a bit. Might give you some ideas.
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/bedandbath/bathcollections/kids/PRD~228683/Princess+Shower+Curtain.jsp#

dragonflydreams Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #4 of 7

. . . I assume one twin is the frog and the other is the unicorn . . . I would be inclined to make two separate cakes "identical" but different . . . one with the frog and the other with the unicorn (but everything else the same) . . . they could be different colors (but tie them together by decorating them the same way) . . . let me see if I can find something that demonstrates what I mean . . .

. . . something like this . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=720993

vagostino Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:06am
post #5 of 7

Thank you everybody!
After thinking yesterday all day i came up with this: Bottom tier sage green with blades of grass all arround a cat tails. Top tier light blue with waves (not waves, more like ripples to mimic a lake effect), and on top of that cake a huge lilly pad with a frog sitting on top. And for the unicorn i was going to have him sitting in the bottom tier...on the top border...
i love the enchanted forest idea too! and i'll ask the mom if she wants to separate cakes, that would make my life easier! Thank you so mucho for your help!

CakeWhizz Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:38am
post #6 of 7

I hope this helps but you might want to have a look at Lindy Smith's book called Story Book Cakes which you can find at http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/StorybookCakes.htm
She did a 3D Unicorn and Frog which are awesome.

xstitcher Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

Thank you everybody!
After thinking yesterday all day i came up with this: Bottom tier sage green with blades of grass all arround a cat tails. Top tier light blue with waves (not waves, more like ripples to mimic a lake effect), and on top of that cake a huge lilly pad with a frog sitting on top. And for the unicorn i was going to have him sitting in the bottom tier...on the top border...
i love the enchanted forest idea too! and i'll ask the mom if she wants to separate cakes, that would make my life easier! Thank you so mucho for your help!

Dragonflydreams I love your idea and the cake link is to adorable and vagostino your idea is great too!

I was thinking why not incorporate both ideas (unless the customer wants a tiered cake that is). What if you had to separate cakes but both pieces together made a whole picture for example you could use the enchanted forest idea and have most of the lake covering one cake in which you could incorporate your idea about the frog on the lily pad and on the other cake have the remainder of the lake on it but the majority of it being surrounded by grass/trees and either the unicorn could be drinking from the lake or be on the grass or the edges of the tree? Just a thought!!

HTH!! icon_smile.gif

Please post a pic so we can see the end result. Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%