What To Charge For A Dummie Cake?

Decorating By krispy1976 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm by indydebi

krispy1976 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a (4) tier square dummie cake with roses sept. the tiers and a real cake for the topper. This is my 1st request and was wonder on how to charge. They also want sheet cakes, so it will be a nice order. They are thinking fondant, but also looking at BC...

Anything Helps

8 replies
isista Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 9

Charge as a real cake price. Dummy does not mean a decrease in pricing.You will be putting a lot of effort to decorate believe meicon_smile.gif)

maryjsgirl Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 9

Well I am not sure how much cheaper the cost of ingredients are compared to the price of the styrofoam rounds. I would take my price per serving and subtract the difference of the ingredient cost and then subtract how much you charge hourly for your yourself by how many hours you think it would have taken you to bake the cake.

That is all of the discount I would give.

krispy1976 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 9

and sheets to feed 600+
LL

msmeg Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 9

make sure you price the dummies and shipping before you set the price. they are not cheap.... and even if they return them they need to be figured into the price ans you may never use them again

Unless you find them extremely cheap they will be the same or more than the cake...

let me guess bride thinks she will get dummy at a reduced price because it is not cake and then the sheet cakes will will be cheap like walmarts.

krispy1976 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 9

I am thinking that!

FromScratch Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 9

Tell her quite plainly that this option will cost her twice as much as just ordering a real cake. Dummy tiers cost just as much as the raw ingredients for a real cake (more sometimes if you factor in the shipping) and the decorating is the same if not more of a pain since they scoot all over the place since they are light as a feather. Icing them in BC is a PAIN so I would insist on fondant. This is one of those things the bridal mags tell people.. dummy cakes are cheaper.. not if you want a custom one and even the rental places aren't super cheap. Once you tell them all that is involved and that the fake cake will cost just as much as the real version they will either walk away or just order the freakin' cake.

jennifer7777 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 9

Even sheet cakes to feed 600+ is a lot! If I were doing the order, the sheet cakes alone would be around $960 (and that is NOT with filling). Then to have to decorate the dummies PLUS a real cake topper...it would be over $1,000.
Good luck. Have you considered consulting more with the customer to look at different options and see why her specifications are as such?

indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Tell her quite plainly that this option will cost her twice as much as just ordering a real cake. Dummy tiers cost just as much as the raw ingredients for a real cake (more sometimes if you factor in the shipping)

Absolutely!! I figured the price diff, and including shipping, the dummies can run me about 20-25% MORE than cake ingredients. And you have to operate under the assumption that you are NOT going to use those dummies over again. Eventually, they will need replaced and the cost for that has to be figured in. You also have to figure the "what if?" factor ... what if you get them back and they are damaged? what if they don't return them? what if the next bride doesnt' order the same shape and size of the dummies you have on hand? what if ... what if ... what if .....?

See my FAQ page ... http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page13.html ... I've actually run the numbers for brides on this so they can see it's NOT cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%