Coloring Fondant

Decorating By Gatorfan01 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm by marknelliesmum

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 3

How do I know how much fondant to color for the various designs on my cake? For example, the base of the cake will be one color, the bow a different color and then I'm doing "circles" of various colors. (I have some leftover small batches of color that I will use for the circles.)

Also, once I make my fondant how/when do I add in the gumpaste? I bought the gumpaste mix and not the pre-made. Do I need to make the gumpaste up or can I just add the dry powder to my fondant?

I will be making Michele Fosters's fondant for the first time. Can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 3

I can't believe that with all the decorators on this board that work with fondant, nobody can answer my questions. icon_cry.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 3

Hi
I can't help you with when to add the gumpaste coz i've never tried Michelle's recipe but in an attempt to answer the how much question on a pack of fondant i have in the cupboard it says the 500g pack will cover a 8-9" round. When i'm doing a 12" square I use a kilo pack plus an extra handful from another pack. This gives me a good thickness and although there is always excess left over I never run short or have gaps and have to stretch the fondant. Also having too much is better than not having enough especially if you are adding colour - there is nothing worse than trying to re-create an exact match in colour.
sorry i can't be more help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%