Pricing

Business By jnestor Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm by maryjsgirl

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 4

I had a friend of a friend of mine ask to put together a quote for a wedding cake. She's been talking about it like crazy, and like within the last 3 months, my business has exploded. Everything was great until she told me what she wanted! After running it through my pricing stuff, it came up to about $430-$475.

I sent the quote over, and suddenly there has been no response via email or phone, and this lady was contacting me constantly up until I sent the email. Do you guys run into this problem at all? I actually am kinda feeling bad, like I may have ticked her off or something. Should I say something or wait for her response?

Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like she was expecting the legendary "friend of a friend" 50% discount. icon_twisted.gif Don't feel bad at all, you gave her what I'm sure is a fair quote, and if she doesn't like it, she will find a "cheaper" cake. I wouldn't feel a need to call or ask what's wrong. If she wants to contact you, she will. If not, in the words of indydebi..."Who cares? Who's next???" icon_biggrin.gif

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 4

How much are you charging per serving?
I am new at this also, but pricing for me is the hardest part. If she knew you, even through a friend, she was probably hoping for a big break. And maybe before she gets back to you she is calling bakeries trying to find a better deal. I have had this problem recently. The "customer" was my cousin and I think she had been expecting a next to nothing price for a 3D cake that took about 10 hours. Before I gave her a price I did a trial run on the cake and it turned out well. I e-mailed her the picture of the trial run and she e-mailed and asked how much it would be for 2 teapots (she has twins) I gave her a GREAT LOW price of $125 for TWO since I hadn't done this before and was a little nervous. (I also know she paid $150 for ONE cake last year). She said she'd have to talk to her husband because they could probably only afford one cake). Anyway, when she saw the finished product and my blood shot eyes from being up til 6a.m. she did pay me $70(didn't realize it til I got home), but the situation was ackward. And I felt bad for taking the money even though I had atleast $35 in the cake and 10 hours of work. And then when I was at the party I heard people discussing what they would expect to pay for a cake like that and the general concensus was $50 - $60. Anyway, it is the pricing I hate. Knowing that I have $ and many hours in something and worrying that who ever I am giving a price to may gasp in horror and think I am ripping them off. I know people who charge $15 for character pan cakes. How do they charge so little?

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 4

Don't feel bad!

I have yet to have my first wedding cake. I have had probably ten people inquire and I have had one consultation, but no booking. People think I charge too much at a whole $2 per serving. icon_rolleyes.gif

I even had a referral from my step mother that called and the first words out of her mouth was, "I thought I would call you, because I don't want to spend all that money on a real bakery cake". icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%