Please Help!!!how Can I Make This Cake???

Decorating By kurabiyecim Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 6:22am by kurabiyecim

kurabiyecim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurabiyecim Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:48am
post #1 of 9

One of my clients asked for this cake and I am not sure how to make the lid part.Please help!!! icon_cry.gif I will really appreciate it.It is asked for an engagement party.I am posting two different versions of the cake. icon_sad.gif
LL
LL

8 replies
thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:05am
post #2 of 9

I'd say the bottom one would be easiest. It looks like it has a styrofoam lid on scewers that are stuck into the cake. The lid is standing straight up so there is less to deal with gravity wise.... Cute cakes.. Good luck!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:13am
post #3 of 9

Construction is pretty simple - cut out cardboard and cover it in fondant or royal icing and decorate.

The tricky part will be keeping the lid "open" Looks like the top picture has the lid resting on a rolled piece of fondant (which is probably covering the royal icing "glue") and on the ring itself.

The bottom picture - that's a little trickier. Maybe push some thin wooden skewars into the cake and extending upward. Then put the cardboard lid down onto them (just make sure the little open areas inside the cardboard are going up and down instead of side to side.)

Does that make any sense?

kurabiyecim Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:23am
post #4 of 9

Thank you both of you for your quick replies.I also think the first one is easier to make but the second one is a bit tricky.I am very new to decorating cakes and this cake will be a real challenge for me to make if I can of courseicon_smile.gif) I think they used skewers and styrofoam but not so thumbs_up.gif sure

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:36am
post #5 of 9

What a cool cake! I agree with all the previous replies but I will sugest that you use a rolled up piece of gumpaste or pastillage for the lid to rest on as fondant does not dry out completely and may get squashed by the lid. Also, you may want to try things out all the techniques such as the quilting on a practice cake first. I wish you the very best, please post a picture when it's done and I'll continue to send good cake vibes your way.

kurabiyecim Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:42am
post #6 of 9

Thank you.I will post a picture here on CC and share the details with all of you if I can manage to do it.

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:56am
post #7 of 9

Hi, saw your question. I have never made a box cake, but I remembered seeing some instructions on it. It is in the Cake Decorating forum, 4th topic down. It's by FairyTale. Here is copy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of you have asked how I make my hatbox cakes. I�ll do my best to describe what I do, but I know there are several �right� ways to make these. Here�s how I fumble through mine.

I make my regular cakes, decorate and stack them. For the hatbox lid, I make mine from styrofoam. I roll out GP, flip it over, paint it with water, then put the stryofoam on top, and cut around it. Flip it over, smooth it and let it dry. After that I take fondant, cover the top and sides of the lid, flip it over and cut off the excess. Makes a nice seam between the GP and fondant. If you don�t want to use the Styrofoam, you can always prop the like open with a wooden dowel.

I prop mine open with a Styrofoam wedge because I usually use that to secure my flowers. (Like a floral oasis). You have to do your flower arrangement first, and keep trying on the lid, to make sure your not going to smash the flowers. I push a floral wire into the bottom of the lid, then push the lid down on the Styrofoam and into the cake. I secure the back of the lid with either a dab of royal icing or white chocolate. Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Maybe you can contact her for more info thumbs_up.gif

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:07am
post #8 of 9

Another idea is to make a box that has the lid that comes off not one that opens on a hinge. Rest the box top up against the ring box. You could make the box top out of 1" of cake on a cardboard or styrofoam.

kurabiyecim Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:22am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all of you for your great answers and help.They will be very inspiring when I do this cake. I'm really looking forward to do this now.icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%