Question About Freezing Cakes

Decorating By varika Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 8:44am by varika

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:56am
post #1 of 4

The cake for my mother's birthday (Sunday) is sitting upstairs cooling, and when it's done, the only place I have to put to store it is in the freezer. I've seen in a couple of topics to level and torte it before freezing, but my question is this: do you put them on boards before wrapping and freezing, or do you just wrap them without boards?

I'd really appreciate a quick answer to this, if anyone's awake to answer it; I'm ready to fall asleep!

3 replies
SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:10am
post #2 of 4

I wrap mine with a board just to be sure they sit flat in the freezer.

Sweet dreams!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:25am
post #3 of 4

So.... you torte and fill your cooled cake then wrap it in plastic and freeze it?, icon_confused.gif I've read about this a lot but I have no idea how to do it, if you don't mind I'll like to ask some questions:
For how long can it be in the freezer?, do you crumb coat it before freezing it?, how long does it take to defrost? and when do you start decorating it, right out of the freezer or how long after taking it out? icon_redface.gif I know it's a lot of questions but any answers are welcome. icon_wink.gif TIA

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:44am
post #4 of 4

I've gotten them in the freezer now. I didn't torte them, but I did wrap each layer separately, and then transferred them to a board to put in the freezer. (It was fun, playing flipsie with the board and the plastic wrap and the foil and the cooling rack!) On Saturday morning when I get up, I'll pull them out and set them on a card table in the other room to thaw, then I can take them up to where I'm going to do the decorating in the cake box, still plastic wrapped, and they should be completely thawed by then. ....if six-inch thick filet mignon can thaw in eight hours, cake should be fine, too...plus I'll have time up there as I'm making the buttercream...

The lengths I go to to not let my mother know what I'm doing, I swear!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%