Who Takes Care Of Getting The Ribbons, Etc.? Wedding Cake ?

Business By SugaredUp Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm by SugaredUp

SugaredUp Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:28am
post #1 of 13

Hey guys!

I had a consultation with a bride the other day. Her wedding is on Aug. 30th. She wants a 3 tiered square BC cake with non-edible ribbon and rhinestone border. I told her she has to pay 50% by Aug. 16, the remainder due 1 week before the wedding. She said originally her mother-in-law's cousin was going to make the cake, but she hasn't heard from her in a while...

She was supposed to call me a few days ago to let me know the deal (is she hiring me or not?) and she hasn't called. I'm not calling her. But I don't want to stress about the details - since time is running out. Here are my questions/concerns:

1. She wants the ribbon to match her bridesmaid dresses. Who gets this? Me or her? (I'm new to doing weddings obviously!) I'm concerned she'll leave me a very small amount of time to match the color.....

2. She wants a custom monogram. How do you guys usually handle that? She wants it to be in rhinestones. Do you guys make them/order them or send the client off to find one on their own? (I'm hoping I don't have to deal with this especially since it probably has to be special ordered and will take a while to come in.)

3. She wants a strand of rhinestones around the bottom of each tier. Again, who gets this - does this even exist already on a roll, say at Michael's?

I'm finding myself stressing out about all of this. My worry is that she'll either wait until the last minute and I'll have 2 weeks to scramble to figure out these details, or she'll pay the deposit, and then cancel if this mother-in-law's cousin decides to do it on the cheap.

This sucks!

TIA

12 replies
leepat Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 13

If she wants ribbon to match dresses I usually ask for a color sample then purchase ribbon myself. Monograms are usually purchased by the bride. And I have never had a bride who wanted rhinestoes but I have had them ask for pearls and I provide that. Hope this helps.

MomLittr Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:26am
post #3 of 13

Call (home and cell) and e-mail her and say if you do not hear from her by 6pm today, not cake.............and stick to that! Hopefully she will contact you - did you get the deposit? At this point tell her payment in full is required or, again, no cake.

deb

PS: you can get rhinestones at any good craft or sewing store

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #4 of 13

A rhinestone monogram is a topper and brides buy their own topper.

I point bride's attention to my collection of leftover ribbons and tell her, "If you want just blue, if you don't care what blue, if you see a blue you like in that collection, then I'll use something up there. But if you want a specific color blue, then you need to drop it off to me a week prior."

(Slightly off topic, but there's a high-end bakery in town that charges $65 to add a ribbon to a cake and a bride has to provide the ribbon. I get lots of bookings from brides when they visit that bakery and hear this!)

grama_j Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:54am
post #5 of 13

" She was supposed to call me a few days ago to let me know the deal (is she hiring me or not?) and she hasn't called. I'm not calling her. "

I would call her ONE TIME..... that would be TODAY...... tell her if she wants a cake from you, you need an answer so that you can plan and order things...... ( it is to late for custom orders, make sure she understands that ) Then let it go..... she doesn't want you to make the cake.......

SugaredUp Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 13

Ok, so it sounds like each baker is different. I think I'm going to go with what Indydebi said and get them to provide me with the ribbons. I kind of thought it should be her responsibility to get the monogram (which is what I told her, but then I was second guessing myself). So I guess I shouldn't worry. Thanks, guys!

loriemoms Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 13

I do both...I have brides who want a certain kind of ribbon with hearts or poka dots and they have to provide that...I am like Debi, I show them the ribbon I got, and I have pretty much all the David Bridal colors...they usually end up just picking ribbon from my collection. I dont charge them for placing (that is CRAZY! Do they charge extra for stacking the cake too?)

I would call the bride today as well, and tell them you need a contract by today or no deal. Tell them you are booking up and don't want them to loose their slot!

southerncake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 13

I always ask the bride to provide the ribbon.

For the topper, I do offer the option of me making a fondant or rhinestone topper. I can give you directions for the rhinestone topper if you need it.

something_sweet Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 13

Check out this site for the rhinestones.

http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.asp?catid=274

But I agree with the other girls, call today, leave a message and if she doesn't call back then don't do the cake. It isn't worth getting yourself worked up over.

marmalade1687 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 13

I do the same thing as Indydebi...I have leftover ribbon, and if the bride is not picky about colour, I will use that. If they want something to match the colours of the wedding, then they must provide it to me a week early. Same as the topper - I must have it hand a week early so that I can see how heavy it is, any special considerations when placing it on top of the cake, etc.

I have never seen rhinestone tape/rolls, but I have never really looked. I would ask the bride to consider an alternative if rhinestones are not possible at this point - she is cutting it pretty close!

loriemoms Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 13

PS You can also buy the chain at most fabric stores (like Jo Ann) They usually sell it by the yard.

Jenn2179 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 13

Stuff like that they have to provide to me. If they don't care like InyDebi said then I will use what I have. Like I did a cake the other week and the bride said if I thought the cake needed a ribbon then to add it. After putting the cake together I thought it needed a ribbon so I picked it up and used it on the cake and the cake board.

SugaredUp Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 13

You guys are so helpful!!!! Thanks for the info on the rhinestone chains! I'm going to go look today at JoAnns just so that I know for myself how much it costs and what it looks like. I need to get a sheet of vinyl for rolling out my fondant anyway...

Southerncake, I did offer to make her a gumpaste monogram, but I told her if she wanted rhinestones she needed to order it - I didn't realize I can make on myself!!! Can you PM me the instructions, in case this comes up again?

Again - thanks so much!!

Amber

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%