Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By SueW Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm by andpotts

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:41am
post #1 of 17

I have never done it before and just got my first request. I don't even know where to start. Any good recipes you can suggest? Thanks!

16 replies
Lisa422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa422 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #2 of 17

I don't have a recipe, but would love to find a good one too. Here's a bump for you.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:51am
post #3 of 17

I only have the recipe for the Wilton chocolate buttercream using the butter/crisco and cocoa powder. It's basically your regular buttercream with 3/4 cup cocoa added to it.

If you're asking about a chocolate SMBC, then I want to know the recipe too!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:00am
post #4 of 17

Here's what I use on the cake I sell to a restaurant. Not overly sweet.
3 sticks butter
10 oz (1.5 cups) crisco
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp karo syrup
1.5 cups Hershey cocoa
3 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
3lbs ps

Cream everything but Karo. Add 1 lb ps let it run a little while, then add cocoa, let it run a little while, then add 2 lb ps and pour Karo over this and pulse on and off a couple of times til incorporated so ps doesn't fly out of bowl (have KA 4.5 qt mixer). When everything is incorporated, I let it run on 2 for about 5 minutes to get it nice and creamy. Add 3 - 5 tbsp of milk to thin to a nice spreading consistancy.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:13am
post #5 of 17

I used indydebbi's buttercream recipe for crusting buttercream and then just added cocoa powder and hershey's syrup (like she saiys to) until I got the right color I wanted, it was so dang good it was hard to stop eating it out of the bowl!

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:31am
post #6 of 17

Hey twooton173--Is your yummy recipe a crusting BC?

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 17

I've been looking for a great crusting chocolate buttercream. Does indydebi's buttercream crust? Where can I find her recipe? I searched for it, but nothing came up.

Thanks!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 17

I would also love the link to indydebbi's BC, and to know if twooten's delicious sounding BC is a crusting one icon_razz.gif BUMP!

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 17

I made my first crusting chocolate buttercream yesterday. I used my faux fondant buttercream: 1.5 cups crisco, 1/2 cup cake flour, 2 lbs. powdered sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp vanilla. Cream crisco and flour, add powdered sugar, water and vanilla. To modify I added about a half cup cocoa powder, added a squirt of chocolate syrup, and then reduced the powdered sugar by about a 1/2 cup. You can add more or less depending on how chocolaty you want it. I had to add alot more water though... It tastes really good!! My mom, who HATES buttercream, LOVED this chocolate buttercream. It is very light and crusts well. Good luck!!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 17

I use the Hersey's cocoa recipe on the back of the container--yummmmyy! It crusts well, too. Hint: heat the milk to a warm temp before adding, it makes it really nice and creamy.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:15am
post #11 of 17

It crusts nicely. I tend to use it on the thicker side in the hot weather so I can smooth it quickly with the VIVA.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:59am
post #12 of 17

I use this recipe but I add 6 oz. of unsweetened chocolate that's been melted and cooled, I add it just before I add the sugar. It's soooo good! And it crusts after about 7-10 minutes.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 17

That is some beautiful cake and that buttercream looks fabulous! Sooo smooth. Your "stained glass" cake top is stunning! icon_smile.gif Would love to know what you used for the colors icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

I use this recipe but I add 6 oz. of unsweetened chocolate that's been melted and cooled, I add it just before I add the sugar. It's soooo good! And it crusts after about 7-10 minutes.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 17

Hi raquel1, I'll send you a PM icon_biggrin.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 17
rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 17

The Chocolate Hazelnut Buttercream recipe in the recipe files is the best I have ever had!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3853-Chocolate-Hazelnut-Buttercream.html

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 17

Here's a link to IndyDebbi's Crusting Buttercream recipe thread. I've done it with half butter half crisco and all crisco (do not use butter flavored crisco!) and it comes out great both ways. This stuff can really stand up to heat and humidity too, maybe it's the dreamwhip. When I made it chocolate by adding, cocoa powder, hershey's syrup and just a tiny drop of almond extract and a little bit of butavan emulsion, it was to die for, I seriously had to run water in the bowl so I would stop sticking my finger in it icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=579244&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%